Turkey

dsitterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Got a 10.5lb bird and was think about cooking it on the kettle or wsm.

I love to spatchcock/butterfly chicken. Do you think it could be done with a turkey or maybe cut it in half. I have used a apple honey brine on the breast before and it was great.

I thought splitting in half would hekp it cook faster and more evenly maybe get a little more smoke flavor.

Or should I just cook it whole?

I like spatchcock cooked indirect with high heat on the kettle. As long as you don't overcook it either way will produce a good result.

Last Thanksgiving, the first cook on my new WSM was a whole organic turkey, brined. IMHO it rocked! I will be cooking it the same from here on out. I would vote for keeping it whole to insure a tender/juicy bird, but can also see the merits of spatchcock.
TurkeyPic1.jpg

I'm with Chris, there's just something so classic about a whole bird. I never have any issues getting the entire bird "smokey" when cooking whole. I do mine using a Jack Daniel's and Maple Syrup brine, it's killer.

Nice color by the way Chris.

Originally posted by LarryR:
I'm with Chris, there's just something so classic about a whole bird. I never have any issues getting the entire bird "smokey" when cooking whole. I do mine using a Jack Daniel's and Maple Syrup brine, it's killer.

Hey Larry, can you post or guide me to the Jack & Maple Syrup brine recipe? Sounds really good.

Can't find my post for the brine but here's the Turkey Thread and here's the recipe:
2 cups maple syrup
1 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon pickling spice
Remainder of container filled with salt water mixture with ½ cup table salt per gallon of water (you can also add apples oranges etc.).

I brine for 24 hours and then allow to air dry in the fridge overnight.

Smoke or grill to 165 Breast/175 Thigh

Note: I ice’d down the breast for approximately 45 minutes prior to cooking. This helps the breast and thigh come to temp. at the same time. Works like a charm.

For sake of ease of use, I would recommend posting brine recipes in the appropriate forum.

Chris that is an amazing looking turkey you got there.

I remember my uncle smoked one for Thankgiving back in 99 or 00, and it came out of his ranch kettle with black skin. It did have a good smokey flavor, and was quite moist due to the long brine, but the skin sure was unappealing. My compliments to you on your effort. I could eat the picture!

Tom, C., it's previously posted in "Turkey Talk" too, which is one of the two "appropriate" forums.

Back