Turkey...water or no water?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I recently purchased my WSM so that I could prepare our Thanksgiving turkey on it this year. I have read many posts and have 2 questions. 1st: 225-250 or 325-350? 2nd: will the WSM run 325 for 3-4 hrs with a full water pan? My first cook was last night 5 lb leg of lamb. My plan was to cook 1 1/2 to 2 hrs at 325. lit a full chimney of kingsford, added about 15 more coals, assembled the cooker, temp was 350, added meat, and water to cooker, temp dropped, and never went over 260. finally added 40 lit briquets, got temp to 290 or so(all temps through lid vent). long story made short, temp only went over 300 after water evaporated from pan. Lamb was great though, and this is exactly why I am practicing before next week! My next cook will be pork butt, (as soon as it thaws)so I won't be trying to maintain that high a temp. Should I cook the turkey low and slow, or go without water, or just start with more fuel burning? Any help is appreciated!

I have been cooking my turkey at same temp I some everything else, 250 degrees and I like the results. I brime the trukey for about four days in the honey brime. Then wrap the breast with bacon and smoke until the breast reachs about 160 degrees. takes about four hours for 10 to 12 pound bird. According to the experts, this may be wrong but I like the results

I'm interested in trying the sand in the water pan approach using higher temperatures. I believe it will be effective. Skin is best when it is crispy. Drying it before cooking and using a drier heat should improve it. I am doing 2 turkeys this year. I wasn't planning on using the WSM but I just may go ahead and try this.

Dan
At 250? pit temp that does sound fast and if I were you I'd measure the internal temp in the thigh at 180?, with the brine your doing the breast should remain moist.
Jim

I am going to try for 325 without water, how long should I wait before checking meat temp, and should I rotate, baste, etc., the turkey during the cook? I am going to cook chicken tonight to see how well I can hold 325, should be good practice for the turkey. Tomorrow, pulled pork!
Thanks for the info!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back