Turkey Skin. Do I have to make an unholy sacrifice?

I have just done my second Turkey smoke.

DigiQII, Hardwood lump, 350 solid on the grate to 160 on the breast. 3 to 1 Cherry to Hickory. Moist, juicy, succulent, PERFECT bird.

Most flavorful and delicious bird I have ever tasted. Ever.

I could have used the skin to patch a WET SUIT.

Seriously. I have chewed on 3 mil neoprene diving gloves that have had a better mouth feel than this skin.

How can I get that oven fresh crunchy delicious turkey skin like mom used to make?

Broiler? Oven? 400 degrees?

I am posting this here and on the New Owners thread as well. I am at a loss.

Thoughts?

Well Your temps seem fine, cooker at higher temps for poultry is key. Are you putting anything on the skin? I put salt on the skin and let it air dry for awhile..try to take out as much moisture from the skin as possible. Baste w/ a little butter and olive oil. Should come out brown and crisp

Yeah...what Gary said.

Salt/season the skin & let it air dry before smoking. I leave my bird uncovered (in fridge) overnight. Looks real ugly the next morning.

Summer200803038.jpg

what Gary and Derek said.

Another thing you can do that I picked up from Kevin K is to gently seperate the skin on the breast from the meat by sliding your hand under it. Apply a little butter to the meat underneath the skin.

The skin needs to crisp before the fat rends off (there was a Cooks Illustrated or the like post about the topic last year sometime I think). Butter or oil helps with this. Trying to crisp after the fact just isn't the same. Start hot (I've done up to 500ºF for oven cooks) for up to about 60 minutes.

I brined but did not allow to dry. I also didn't add fat under or ot the skin.

I toweled dry fromt eh brine and threw it on the smoker.

I will air dry next time.

And I will try butter up under the skin. Now, do I want to add fat (butter and/or olive oi)l to below AND above the skin? or just one? And if just one, which?

Thank you for the input.

I do both, unsalted butter (mixed with some elements of the rub--skip the very grainy elements or simply grind well for this step) under the skin (I go fairly heavy), and either butter or oil on the skin, lightly applied, rub over that. (Note that rub is not required. I use it unless the birds have been marinated.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And I will try butter up under the skin. Now, do I want to add fat (butter and/or olive oi)l to below AND above the skin? or just one? And if just one, which? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried butter or oil, but not together. Don't see any reason why not to though, butter under the skin and light brush of EVOO on top actually sounds like a good idea to me.

I've put butter under the skin and brushed the top with melted butter.

For what it's worth, put me in the "sacrifice the skin" category. I'm happy with the smoked meat. If I want crispy skin I'll get a bag of pork rinds.

Back