Turkey question

Dan Allen

TVWBB Super Fan
The wife bought a turkey and has pretty much begged that I make it on the WSM this weekend.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'd like to make the recipe found here.

The problem is that the turkey she bought is pre-injected and the brine recipe says to not use a pre-injected turkey.
icon_frown.gif

Is the reason for not using a pre-injected turkey because of the salt level? If I drastically reduce the amount of salt in the brine would I be ok?

If not are there any recommendations for bbqing a pre-injected turkey?

Thanks.

I would skip the brine if it is pre-injected. It will still be great. My wife loves smoked turkey on the WSM. Get ready to be a hero!

Thanks Doug.
icon_smile.gif

Judging by the thread it doesn't look like it would hurt to brine it but I think I'll go with the self-basting recipe this time (we don't have a container big enough to brine in yet anyway).

Herself has learned her lesson about buying pre-injected turkey (I showed her the apple brine recipe and she really wanted to try it).

T-Giving is coming up so I'm sure there's another turkey in my not-so-distant future.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
See this post and thread. Or just do the Whole Turkey - Self-Basting recipe instead this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be trying the Apple-Brined turkey for Canadian Thanksgiving with is this weekend. Should be interesting, we've never had anything but the tradition oven-cooked, really dry, boring turkey. Hopefully I can turn things around and finally enjoy Turkey for once.

A couple of years ago my brother-in-law did an experiment. In one day he made three turkeys; one deep-fried, one grilled on his gasser, and one "traditional" in the oven.

The deep-fried was definately the best, the grilled after that. Oven cooked was a distant third.

Hopefully my turkey will be at least as good as his grilled one.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allan:
I'll be trying the Apple-Brined turkey for Canadian Thanksgiving with is this weekend. Should be interesting, we've never had anything but the tradition oven-cooked, really dry, boring turkey. Hopefully I can turn things around and finally enjoy Turkey for once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back