Turkey Question

I have done a lot of research and I have run into the following sentiment (I am paraphrasing):

"Well, you want to smoke your bird breast side down for X amount of time first, and then flip it breast side up for the remainder of the cook."

Supposedly this evens out the cook times for white and dark, lets the skin crisp, makes the meat juicier, cures tetter and will help us win the war.

Now, when I cook turkey in the over I flip the bird a couple of times in the beginning for color and even temp (ala Cooks Illustrated). And to be honest it is a pain.

But on the WSM, with a Guru, over lump, on the top grate, is it going to make that big of a temp difference?

Is it worth flipping after X minutes, or 1/2 way through or something like that?

Any merit to this thought? Or just put the bird on there and smoke it?

Thought I would ask here. I have NOT done a turkey yet, I am thinking this weekend.

I never flip.

I think CI got carried away with themselves, as they often do. Not that it's 'wrong' or 'bad', but it's a PITA unless you're doing a small turkey in which case it's unnecessary. For large turkeys or for those that are stuffed (of any size) it can really be a PITA. If you have a turkey of sufficient size that you are concerned with evenness of cooking you can ice the breast first. Still, that's not often necessary in a WSM or kette.

I'm getting downright lazy in my old age and I have decided that when I want smoked turkey that it is much easier to smoke two or three breasts instead of the whole bird. Of course I don't get any dark meat but most people prefer the white anyway. I also don't fret over getting crispy skin. It's usually pretty dark when I get done with it anyway so I just peel it off and get rid of it. The biggest advantage is that there is a lot less mess to clean up after you carve the breasts as opposed to the carcass.

I still do whole birds on occasion but I prefer the ease of the breast only cooks.

I did one a couple months back that I just put a 15lb bird on, with a full water pan, some seasoning, mesquite. Smoked at 325 with no turning no nothing and lets just say I didn't have to worry about what to do with the leftovers.

How long did your 15lb bird take at 325? I'm doing a 14lb'r this weekend. Although I think I can get my temps way up there since they are forecasting a high of 99 Saturday. Nice!

Seems like it was about 3 and a half hours but I used the thermometer to check doneness. I just followed the same time frame as you would in the oven since the temp is similar. Seems like 15 min per pound. The skin was black but crunchy and delicious. I also roasted one in the oven for those that don't like smoke food. It barely got touched.

That's sort of what I've ran into Shilo. Although I've never done one on the WSM, I've done birds on the kettle and others on a cheap-o smoker, also was in a rut frying them for a few years. Everyone loves the smoked or grilled birds much more than baked or fried.

I did find that the regular old mashed potatoes etc that most people normally serve with turkey didn't quite fit. I think next time I will do sides like sweet potato fries, maybe some potato salad or coleslaw, something like that. I prefer mine on a sandwich with bacon and avocado.

I never flip. Here's my best Turkey ever on the WSM.
icon_biggrin.gif

HJMNW-JRPTH-XCIVE-BBQPICS005.jpg

wow Bryan S. That was one beautiful perfectly smoked turkey- it's almost ashame it was eaten instead of preserved! I've only done 3 and they never looked near as well. I definitely need some turkey tips. Again, nice show-piece.

Back