Turkey "Popper"

T Muotka

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking a turkey on Saturday and wonder if I should go by the "pop-up" in the turkey? I'm sure I will use my temp probe too, but was wondering if anyone has used just the pop-up.

If you do, you will wind up with dried out white meat. Use a digital probe thermo and pull the bird off when the breast meat reaches 161°F. Upon resting, it will rise to about 165° and be perfectly done, and still moist. The dark meat of the thigh and leg should be coincidentally about 175° after resting and also be properly done. The "popper", IIRC, is programmed to go off at about 180°.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adrian Bermudez:
Hmm, anyone ever thought of popping one of these on a brisket?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some of the better kitchen stores and online suppliers offer these that pop-up at different temperatures. Conceptually, I don't think there's anything wrong with them, except that that ones used in poultry go off at such a high temp that the meat is dry. But one that went off at 160*F in the breast would be OK with me. Of course, I would also double-check using my Thermapen instant-read in a couple of locations, to be sure.

And despite what people say, I think they're pretty accurate to within just a couple of degrees. Those of you who watch Unwrapped on the Food Network may have seen the episode that featured the company that makes these devices. They showed a large scale test of hundreds of pop-ups going off when heated, all within just a few degrees of one another.

A 195*F pop-up for brisket sounds like a pretty good idea to me!
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Turkey is on. I left the popper in for kicks. I will pull when breast meat is 161 F or so. If all goes well, I will put two on for Grad Party on 5/26. You can't have too much meat at a party.

Cheers

Back