Turkey on the rotisserie?

Fill the cavity with apples, onions, oranges whatever to take up the space so it won't wobble on the spit as it cooks. Make sure you have a counter weight to balance out the load. You should be good. Take some photos.

My rotisserie didnt come with a counter weight :(

Not sure how strong your motor is but it's pretty easy to be off balance with a turkey and the counterweight just evens out the load. Your choice but you could burn out the rotisserie motor if it has too much load. Most are good for 15-20lbs.

those don't need a weight. but do try and center it as best you can.
I don't put anything in the cavity. well mabe some rosemary. I also put some butter and rosemary under the skin.
truss the wings and legs. but do not truss the legs tight to the body, just to each other to prevent to much flopping.

I did a 20lb turkey last year on the S670 rotisserie. I just treated it like a big chicken and it came out great. Truss it, I put oranges on the cavity, and spin it. I did do the brine and dry...it was some really good turkey. If I remember correctly I just used the outside burners in a H-M-O-O-M-H configuration turkey over the center off burners, with a drip pan under the turkey. When it was about 20 degrees from done I fired up the rotisserie burner to finish.
-rog

This should be the best turkey you will ever do....I have been doing it this way for the past 6 years and my family and quests love and request it done on the rotisserie every year! Good luck! Keep checking it to make sure it doesn't start to slip!

over here in the UK - we do our Christmas Day turkey on my Performer rotisserie - it's become a bit of a tradition
we wet brine overnight in Champagne (well actually sparking white wine!) along with the usual herbs n spices
4.5 hrs last time out - and it was SO moist...

over here in the UK - we do our Christmas Day turkey on my Performer rotisserie - it's become a bit of a tradition
we wet brine overnight in Champagne (well actually sparking white wine!) along with the usual herbs n spices

I'd love to hear more about your cook Chris. Sounds really interesting.

thanks Gary
We're doing it again this year - so watch out for a detailed post soon after Christmas

here's a pic of the one from two years ago...

That's a unique way of brining a turkey! Thanks Chris. I'll have to give this a try soon.

I would brine or marinate or inject for moisture. I'm doing a Mojo marinated on the rotis this year. I like the idea of a seasoned butter under the skin as well or basting is always good for flavor.

thanks Gary
We're doing it again this year - so watch out for a detailed post soon after Christmas

here's a pic of the one from two years ago...

Looks great great Chris. Where is your fire? Looks like it might be underneath the pan? When I use the roti I generally only fire one side but I see many on here have fire on either side of the spit. Just curious.
Thanks for the photo.

the ones I have done on the rotiss did not need brining. I don't like breast meat but it sure was moist.
try one without doing much of anything and then experiment from there.
I now like mine rather simple with s&p and some herb butter under the skin.

Looks great great Chris. Where is your fire? Looks like it might be underneath the pan? When I use the roti I generally only fire one side but I see many on here have fire on either side of the spit. Just curious.
Thanks for the photo.

Gary
There's charcoal (Weber briquettes in baskets) both sides for a nice even heat.
the drippings and vegs in the pan were awesome too...
Chris

Jake if it needs a counter weight you can also use a pair of vise grips.

Good idea but i emailed weber about capacity for my rotisserie and they said 18 lbs and will not need a counter weight . I am ill definitely keep this in mind though if I have troubles

Last edited:
After reading this post I decided to do my Thanksgiving turkey on the rotisserie. Injected with Butcher's Bird Booster and put on at 350°. It was centered enough I didn't need the counter weight, at first. The closer it got to being done the looser the joints became which caused it to start flopping. I retied the strings once trying to keep it in place and managed to get it done. It did turn out very good and certainly something I'll do again.
Sorry, no pic. I somehow deleted an entire album from my phone, including that one :(

Back