turkey holder?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Can you lay a 10-15# bird on the top or bottom grill breast side down or do you need special apparatus for mounting a turkey in the WSM? Are there several ways of smoking a turkey?

Thanks,
Troy

Troy,
Yes, you can smoke a turkey right on the grill with excellent results. I haven't tried the stand up racks for poultry, so I can't say if there's an advantage to them or not. I usually cook small birds 10-12#. I prefer to use non-"enhanced" turkeys, and I brine them beforehand. I use a dry, foiled water pan, and cook at about 325*-350*.
And yes, there are many ways to smoke a turkey.
I have no doubt that others will chime in here with their ideas and methods.
Now you've got me thinking about a 11# bird in the freezer, and a quantity of cherry wood I recently acquired. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Jim

Hi Troy,

There are several examples of turkey cooks documented on the Web site. Visit the Cooking Topics section, scroll down to Poultry, and you'll find them there. Don't miss the Turkey Selection & Preparation article.

By the way, I've used vertical turkey stands on the WSM with 10-15 lb. turkeys and didn't find them particularly advantageous. Just lay that bird on its back and smoke it.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>By the way, I've used vertical turkey stands on the WSM with 10-15 lb. turkeys and didn't find them particularly advantageous. Just lay that bird on its back and smoke it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Y'know, I've been curious about cooking a bird as large as a turkey on a vertical rack- not curious as in considering doing so, just thinking.
With the heat striation (if that's the correct term) in a vertical cooking chamber, the temp at the top of the bird could be considerably higher than at the bottom, and varying temps in between.
I can see a potential problem with that. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Going out on a limb, it might be better to cook the bird inverted, so the thighs are at higher temps and the breast is at lower temp.
I'm sure that I'm over analyzing things here, but I do that a lot. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim N.:
[qb]I'm sure that I'm over analyzing things here...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, you are. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif There are significant temperature variations from top to bottom in your home oven, too. No worries, just cook on the top grate at about 325*F measured at the lid and everything will be fine.

Any method you do in the oven, you can do in the WSM. Breast up, breast down, whatever.

Gobble gobble,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes, you are. There are significant temperature variations from top to bottom in your home oven, too. No worries, just cook on the top grate at about 325*F measured at the lid and everything will be fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, this is what I have been doing, with excellent results.
I was just theorizing that the temp variations might prove to have more of an effect on a turkey in a vertical position than on one that is horizontal. The bird's mass would be subject to a greater variation in temps.
As I said, I'm not planning on cooking a turkey vertically, as I have no problems with my method.
It's all just speculation and a bit of mental masturbation. (Mom was right, I shoulda been an engineer).
BTW, I haven't cooked meat in an oven for several years. Once I mastered my old ECB, that was it. The WSM just makes it sooo much easier.
It's all good. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Jim

I think the term you were thinking of is stratification. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim N.:
[qb]mental masturbation[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>OK, I havent heard that one before.
LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think the term you were thinking of is stratification. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Um, yeah. That's it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back