Turkey - hi heat!

Ron Hunter

TVWBB Member
I've got a 12lb turkey that's going on the WSM either tomorrow or Monday.

My question is this - not using the water pan will allow a much faster, higher heat cook. However, by cooking faster - isn't the smoke flavor decreased?

I'll use only cherry to smoke - but I'm thinking about using a lot more wood than I normally would to make of the difference for the fast cook.

Am I off base??

Thanks

I cooked a turkey with the clay saucer, used a few chunks of apple, i took about 3 hours, and was great, not too much smoke, but nice flavor.

I read that poultry soaks up the smoke, so less is needed. seemed like it worked for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric H:
I read that poultry soaks up the smoke, so less is needed. seemed like it worked for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes It does Bud. It's very easy to over smoke poultry. It takes on smoke pretty quick.
Ron, I would just use your normal amount and see what you think. Better to have too little smoke than to have an over smoked bitter bird on your plate.
icon_frown.gif
The fire will be hotter so your wood is going to burn faster also. Should be pretty close to how your low and slow turkey comes out.
icon_wink.gif

EDIT: I forgot something. I would just use your water pan, just foiled. You really don't want all that grease dripping down on the coals the entire time. Could give you some off flavors. I leave the pan out for chicken, but that's just on parts and pieces cooks, and they are not on there all that long.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to put the bird on tomorrow. Give me time for a little woodshop time and a little smoking time.

Doesn't get much better!

Have a great holiday!

Turkey is one of my favorite things to smoke.
As Bryan said, use the water pan empty and foiled, and be careful with the amount of smoke wood.
I also use only cherry for turkey and I use only about 3 fist size chunks. You will get a hint of smoke flavor, and IMO thats all you need for turkey.
I am forever stuck on having Thanksgiving at my house because of how great turkey comes out on the WSM.
GOOD LUCK!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Hunter:
Thanks for the info. I'm going to put the bird on tomorrow. Give me time for a little woodshop time and a little smoking time.

Doesn't get much better!

Have a great holiday! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you brining the bird? I like to brine in apple juice, brown sugar and kosher salt.

Just had Turkey tonight. I brined it and then used the Guru and hold the temp at 350. Even if I didn't use the Guru, I would use the water pan foiled w/o water in it. Brining made the breast meat very juicy, too.

Also, I used apple wood, which I almost always use for things I don't want to over-smoke. It came out perfectly -- nice sweet smoke w/ no heaviness.

I thought about brining it then I looked on the wrapper. It contains an 8% solution. On one of the discussions groups I read that means essentially it is already brined.

So - About 12:30 tomorrow I'll put it on and have a great meal around 5.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dudley Rose:
Right. If it's got an 8% solution, you should not brine it. Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dissagree. You can flavor brine it to bring lots of flavor to the Turkey party. I use my apple honey brine on pumped birds and just cut the salt back to 1/4 cup.
icon_wink.gif
Link to brine recipe.

Cook went without a hitch. Did use a little extra wood - very glad it was cherry, otherwise it would have been too much.

The only problem was I didn't turn the bird 180. The wind was consistently blowing around 10+ At 2 1/2 hours one side of the bird was noticably less cooked than the otherside. I did the 180 left it in for another 30- 45 minutes.

Hi- heat turkey is the only way to go!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back