Turkey cook times

Tom A.

TVWBB Member
In the Cooking Topics for turkey, the cook times are 2.5-3 hrs for a whole 12-14 lb and 1.5 hrs for 4-5 lb bone in breast.

Am I missing something here or are these the actual cook times? I'd hate to plan a dinner only to have to wait until 9PM to have the turkey fully cooked.

Thanks,
T

They are actual cook times for a brined turkey at high temps. Turkey is lean and there is no benefit cooking it slow and low.

I did not know there was no benefit in low and slow. I guess I'll call my local smokehouse and tell them they have been wasting their time for the last 67 years slow smoking the turkeys at 180 for 18 hours. I only thought they tasted good.
(smiley thing here)

Ouch!!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Brewer:
I did not know there was no benefit in low and slow. I guess I'll call my local smokehouse and tell them they have been wasting their time for the last 67 years slow smoking the turkeys at 180 for 18 hours. I only thought they tasted good.
(smiley thing here) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just to be clear for all the lurkers, "low & slow" is not necessary for turkey in terms of making the meat tender like with brisket or pork butt, since turkey is naturally tender. But as Dave suggests, "low & slow" can be used to apply more smoke flavor to turkey than when cooking at higher temps.

The cooking times referenced at the top of this thread are for unbrined, unstuffed birds cooked at 325*F, not low & slow cooking.

The full article is here:

Turkey Selection & Preparation

Hard to believe it's only September and we're already fielding turkey questions.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Hey Tom, however you decide to cook your Turkey just remember a few things. If you do decide to cook low n slow, poultry can absorb a lot of smoke (making it become bitter) so choose appropriate wood (for example fruit woods) and use little during your first smoke so you experiment (no smoke taste is better than bitter taste).

I agree with Matt, and IMO do not see the point of cooking turkey low n slow. A benefit of cooking it with high heat is that the skin comes out very crispy (which can be as important as the actual turkey meat) and as you mentioned above, you just don't have to wait that long. However, use the time as a guide, and instead check the temp. in the breast (should be around 161 degrees) Also, remember to always rest the turkey for at least 15 minutes (preferably around 30 minutes) after removing it from the heat source. Hopefully this helps you a little.

Erik

I only ask now because I would hate to ruin my "reputation" as someone who knows how to BBQ. I need to make a test run to ensure a decent product.

I recall a whole bird in the oven taking 5+ hrs and a bone in breast taking 2.5-3 hrs. So to be absolutely certain a brined 12-14lb whole bird takes 2.5-3 hrs @350, and a brined bone in breast 4-5 lb takes 1.5 hrs?

Tom,

It is really hard to go by any set times. You just have to cook by temps and it's done when it's done. I have had whole birds done in 2 hours and some go 4 hours.

Your test run will help you with timing. Each peice of meat cooks differently and just because 1 gets done in 2 hours, the next one might go 3.

Have fun and good luck!

Randy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom A.:
So to be absolutely certain a brined 12-14lb whole bird takes 2.5-3 hrs @350, and a brined bone in breast 4-5 lb takes 1.5 hrs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That sounds about right. Be aware that 12-14 pounds of cold bird is going to put a serious hit on your cooker temp when it goes in-- this is not a good cook for a Minion start. Even with a full ring of fully lit briquets, you will probably have to prop the door open a half inch in the beginning to get the temp to rebound more quickly. I would surmise that, unless you are cooking on a warm sunny day, you'll probably end up cooking at more like 300-325, in which case I would allow 3.5 hours for the whole bird.

Back