Turkey and rib roast on deck for the Oakford

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
Have a frozen turkey, 9lbs. I believe and a smaller 5lb. rib roast both in the chest freezer. Turkey is from Christmas...grocery store freebie and I grabbed the rib roast last week when they were $5/lb. for Easter.

If it ever stops raining here, the turkey will go on the Nexgrill Oakford 580. So far, April is behaving like mid-March...cold and a LOT of rain.
Was fortunate for Easter...15 people at the beach house for Easter dinner....burgers, my wife's outstanding potato salad and Mac and cheese plus cheesecake, good coffee, beer, wine...the usual suspects.
The Broilmaster P3 was on point, but I need to check, clean, lube and/or replace the valves...whole new manifold. It's either blazing inferno full blast, but flames out on low. Still got the job done.

Looks like sunny days ahead, once we make it to Friday. Smoked turkey tastes awesome cooked on a pellet grill. I'm going to make marinated thighs, it's been a few weeks since making some, can't wait for the jersey corn to pair with it.

Looks like sunny days ahead, once we make it to Friday. Smoked turkey tastes awesome cooked on a pellet grill. I'm going to make marinated thighs, it's been a few weeks since making some, can't wait for the jersey corn to pair with it.
BTW, I took you up on the suggestion to marinate some thighs in Italian dressing and throw them on the pellet grill. That was some good eating both for dinner and cold for lunch the next day. Thank you, Sir!

Debating whether to defrost the turkey and dry rub or brine it. I like the dry rub method better. The downside is the space it occupies in the refrigerator while thawing.
Every brine recipe I see always has fresh herbs...some pretty unusual ones too...Juniper berries? Just no.

Looks ok. Smells awesome. I think I put the Inkbird probe in wrong. It's reading way higher than as actual with the Thermapen. I cranked it to 350. It's getting there.
1000010298.jpg

Back