Turkey and a Ham

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Just put my 16lb turkey and 8lb ham on. Cooking the turkey on the WSM with apple wood and the ham the Primo Jr. with apple wood as well. The ham will be glazed in a bit with a glaze consisting of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, honey and dark rum.

11-22-07001-2.jpg
11-22-07006.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
How did it all turn out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything was great, but the ham was a hit! The very best ham I've ever done. Here's a rough estimate of the glaze recipe if anyone is interested in trying it.

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup Dark Rum
1 cup Brown sugar
1 TBS Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil and let simmer 5 minutes.

These are all estimates, but should be pretty close to make it good!

Larry,
I've been looking at that ham ever since you posted. I give it a 10 on the WOW scale, very nice indeed.
You force me to try one. It looks like a killer.
Question: Is the ham smoked in that pan right from the start? Is that a pan within a pan or does it just look that way to me?
Happy holidays.

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Larry,
I've been looking at that ham ever since you posted. I give it a 10 on the WOW scale, very nice indeed.
You force me to try one. It looks like a killer.
Question: Is the ham smoked in that pan right from the start? Is that a pan within a pan or does it just look that way to me?
Happy holidays.

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Dave. It's a "Ready Cook" Smithfield ham. I scored it and cooked in a single aluminum pan from the beginning. When the ham reached 120* I basted with the natural juices, then when it hit 125* I started basting every 15 minutes with the glaze until the ham hit 145*. Let the ham rest for 15 minutes before slicing! Good luck, let me know how yours turns out!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Abrams:
What kind of smoke did you use? Hickory? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Steve! I used apple wood on both the turkey and the ham on this cook.

I'm going to try this Ham recipe for Thanksgiving ... can't wait. I'm using my smoker for the Turkey. In your opinions, how much difference will the Ham recipe be in a smoker vs. oven?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Struck:
I'm going to try this Ham recipe for Thanksgiving ... can't wait. I'm using my smoker for the Turkey. In your opinions, how much difference will the Ham recipe be in a smoker vs. oven? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Ready Cook' hams are lightly smoked, so they have a faint smoke flavor to them. So cooking on a smoker vs. in the oven adds smoke flavor. Either will work fine, but the smoker will add the most flavor.

That ham does look good. I was wondering how long it took you to do that ham and at what temp were you running. Just out of curosity have you done a ham like that on the smoker, and if so at what temp, and spprox time.
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harvey K:
That ham does look good. I was wondering how long it took you to do that ham and at what temp were you running. Just out of curosity have you done a ham like that on the smoker, and if so at what temp, and spprox time.
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Harvey,
Actually that ham was done on my Primo smoker. I cooked it around 235º and I believe it took aroun 3.5 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
You took the skin off the breast meat!!!! BAD!!!
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's the only downfall to cooking turkeys at lower temps......
icon_frown.gif

I can't wait for my turkey and ham combo for our Sunday neighborhood Thanksgiving BBQ. I need some advice. I'm smoking 2 turkeys and 2 ready to cook 7lb hams. I have one smoker.

I was thinking of smoking the 2 hams today (Saturday). Then warming them up in the oven tomorrow. If I do this using Larry's recipe, should I smoke the ham to completion today (smoke to 145 degrees and baste starting at 125 degrees). Or should I just smoke to 125 degrees today, refrigerate and then reheat and baste in the oven tomorrow? Or does it make no difference, perhaps I am over thinking this.

Appreciate your repsonses!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Struck:
I can't wait for my turkey and ham combo for our Sunday neighborhood Thanksgiving BBQ. I need some advice. I'm smoking 2 turkeys and 2 ready to cook 7lb hams. I have one smoker.

I was thinking of smoking the 2 hams today (Saturday). Then warming them up in the oven tomorrow. If I do this using Larry's recipe, should I smoke the ham to completion today (smoke to 145 degrees and baste starting at 125 degrees). Or should I just smoke to 125 degrees today, refrigerate and then reheat and baste in the oven tomorrow? Or does it make no difference, perhaps I am over thinking this.

Appreciate your repsonses! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would do the turkeys today, cool them and leave whole and refridgerate overnight and serve cool tomorrow. In my opinion smoked turkey is so much better if cooked a day ahead of time.

Then I'd cook the hams tomorrow and take to the party warm.

Back