Turkey - 225F or 300F+?

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
I plan on brining and smoking a turkey breast this weekend.

I see recipes for low/slow and for normal oven temperatures. Assuming I can get the 300-325F temps in my bullet (so take that issue out), what are the pros/cons to each?

- flavor. I assume poultry should not use as much smoke and it is fairly lean and does not require the long low heat to break down, so what is flavor comparison? e.g. flavor, moist etc.

- safety. Is 225F for hours safe for poultry everytime?

thanks!

I'm sure someone will come along with the guide line, but you're right, above a certain size, 225 will leave the food at an unsafe temperature for too long.

Personally I recommend spatchcocking the turkey, it'll cook quicker and more evenly. The only thing you lose is the presentation of a traditional bird. I also like higher temperatures for poultry. Its not like a pork butt where we have a lot of fat to render out and collagen to break down with slow and low. Higher temps also will help you get a crispy skin.

225?? Well, for large turkeys yes and no. Though the turkey might be at an unsafe temp for 'too long', continued cooking to a safe internal will pasteurize it and make it safe to eat.

That said, I see no reason to cook a turkey at 225? unless you are cooking a small bird or a b/s breast and want to milk the cooktime for whatever reason. I tend to cook all turkeys at 325-400, depending on what I am cooking.

As long as you don't overcook, the turkey will be moist whatever cooktemp you choose. I don't find a difference in flavor but there certainly can be a difference in skin texture.

Thanks.

I will use the high temperature. Probably aim for 325-350.

What breast temp to aim for? 155 and let it rise to 160 or actually pull it at 160?

I do my turks at 325-400 as well. BEAUTIFUL color, excellent skin texture, and very moist if pulled at 160 in the breast. All the ones I have smoked have wow-ed the crowds because of so many people being accustomed to a dry bird.

well, I asked my wife to buy a turkey breast and she came home with a Butterball boneless breast. Says up to 20% liquid.

Not what I wanted but I am going to use it, so would we agree that brining is now out of the question?

thx

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> smoking a turkey breast </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As it's only a turkey breast and not a whole bird, 225/300+ will both work. Your next consideration is the skin. It takes a few extra steps to get crispy skin at 225.

When cooking at a low temperature i.e. 225 you get a more even temperature in your meat. When you get to 160 in the middle, you are close to 160 throughout. Cooking at 350 until 160 in the middle, your temperatures away from the middle will be higher. If you over shoot your temps while cooking at 225, when it gets dry, the whole thing will be dry. If you over shoot the while cooking at 350, the outsides will dry quickly.

This is the same when cooking a roast. As long as you don't overshoot your temperature you should be fine. Cooking at higher temps and overshooting your temps will dry/overcook the outsides faster.

Also as rendering is not that big a deal with a turkey i would go with 300-325 it will impart plenty of smoke and also make the texture of the skin more pallatable

Back