Trying to slow grille on a gas grille.

Peter Matijevich

TVWBB Member
I am going to my in-laws this weekend and was told I am cooking for the family. My father in-law has a 4 burner gas grille with a side box for wood. I figured I could only use the side burners and keep the meat in the center. Just wondering if anyone has any hints. I am going to try and cook at 250 degrees.

You might want to think about adding a drip-pan filled most-of-the-way with water between the burners, under the meat.

And I would definitely load-up that smoker-box.

I agree with Ron's suggestions. If by "side box for wood" you mean a smoker box, then use soaked wood chips for the smoke, rather than dry chunks, which likely won't fit in boxes like that.

Thanks for the tips. I forgot about the drip pan. Thanks for reminding me. And yes, I meant a smoker box...and I will definately make sure I soak the chips.

I used to do this all the time before I had the WSP and do it at condos etc on vacation.

Chicken or fish works best since it is hard to keep the temps below 325 even with only one burner unless it is really cold out.

I usually put food on one side vs middle, and light the side "upwind" if there is a breeze.
This way you can remove the grill on the hot side and put your smoke chips on the burner or heat deflectors. Sometimes soaked chips won't smoke unless you crank the heat too high/hot. I usually use unsoaked chips in a tight foil pouch with two tiny holes. Put the chips on when you light the grill and add meat when it starts to smoke. every grill is different so you have to fool with the heat

If the grill is leaky, attempt to roll up foil loosely and make a gasket around the sides and back of the base so the lid seals tighter.

I put a foil pan under the chicken on the rack but you may have to use a shallow pan depending on clearance.

In any case you end up with a nicely rubbed, indirect cooked product.

Not a good technique really for ribs but works ok.

It will be fine.
Light 1 end burner, put food on the other end.
Put wood chips & chunks in a foil pouch on lit end. You may get a light smoked flavor.
Cook to temp .
If you want a heavier smoke flavor use a rub with smoke flavoring added, or marinate with a marinade with liquid smoke.
This is not smoked meat, remember it's smoke flavored.
If can still be tender ,& tasty.
Never apologize before the meal. If you act like it's great most people will think so too!

Back