Trying to get my Norwegian butcher to make me a brisket

Looks very good Ulf.....whatever it is.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

That all looked really good!

To me, your brisket looks like a trimmed-up chunk of a part of the brisket that we call the "flat".

I'm working on making better briskets myself. So far, the ones that I made also got a little dry. I'm finding Brisket to be one of the more challenging meats to smoke. Next time I cook a flat, I'm going to try the "high-heat" version and foil it for a while, in order to keep it juicy. (You might want to try the same.)

Long times like 10-12 hours or more are usually for "full packer" briskets - which is a BIG pice of meat consisting of a full "flat" and the "point", with a pretty hefty fat cap. (these are probably about 8-10 Kg).

Keep experimenting - I'm going to do the same.

Thansk for the feedback guys. Yeah, will try slightly higher heat->shorter time and also maybe foiling it for the middle part of the cook next time. Not giving up. It was tasty however.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

It looks pretty solid in the sliced picture, doesn't look like it crumbled at all so I suspect that it was a little undercooked.

Undercooked= dry and tough
Overcooked= dry and crumbly or the consistency
of pot roast.

This of course is assuming that that was in fact a piece of brisket flat.

Thanks Mikkel! Since one of the guys at my butcher's is Danish, that's very helpful indeed, hopefully he will know what that means...

Hi Ulf, the pix look really nice. You've got a nice smoke ring going there on your "brisket"

On a side note, my wife and I have adopted several of your "countrymen"
icon_smile.gif
over the years, hopefully no one will object to my including their pix here.

Kevin

Here are our boys in the winter of 2010 checking out something in the backyard

144261181.jpg

And here they are after a hard day of playing outside, scout's honor, this picture was NOT posed, luckily I had a camera handy.

142566935.jpg

PS. Many years ago I was a meat cutter for a grocery store chain. This was back in the days of hanging beef. It sounds to me like the bone in cut weighing 20+ pounds may be what I know as the "plate"

Back