Trying to fix up a S-320 (Lots of Pics)

Johnny_G

Hello everyone. I have lurked on this forum for a while but just ended up joining. I was planning on purchasing a new Genesis EP-330 next summer, but I ended up finding a craigslist deal I hope was too good to pass up. I was able to purchase this 2008 S-320, pictured below, for $150. It also came with 2 propane tanks, a new package of drip trays and what I think is a vegetable basket. The guy selling it was moving out of state and couldn’t keep it past the weekend. He mentioned he received it as a wedding gift back in September of 2008 but had never registered the grill. I ended up signing up to a Weber account and registered it as soon as I got it. The 5 year parts warranty will run out at the end of August.

I would like some help on how to bring this grill back to its glory. It is a little beat up at the moment but I have seen so many awesome restorations from this site on older grills that I believe I could do the same with this one. I have posted pictures below of the grill to try and show what I am working with. I would like to know what parts you think I should try to get warranty replacements for, which parts I should just buy and what I should just clean up.

I am not adverse to hard work or how to use any tools to disassemble/reassemble parts of the grill. I am a bit of newb in having and working on a quality grill though. I have a crappy sub $200 Charbroil sitting next to the Weber right now that I am ashamed to have, and that (Char) is probably the nicest grill I have ever owned.
I am not really sure where to start so I will just list below the parts that I think need cleaned/replaced. I have bought a couple containers of Bar Keepers Friend (powder), along with a few different scouring brush/pads. I have tried the BKR in spots and it seems to do a good job. The rust on the side burner lid is not really coming off with it though. I also picked up a Home Depot clearance of a combo Weber grate cleaner with exterior grill cleaner for about $7. I may just return that because I have a feeling it is just too gimmicky.

1.) Burners: The burners look to have worn through in a few places and are pretty rusted out, I also get flair ups.
2.) Flavorizer Bars: Look to be completely shot. Very rusted and major rotting in places.
3.) Grates: Look to just be very dirty and not cleaned very well. I don’t notice any major damage to them and feel I could probably just clean this up but not sure of the best way.
4.) Back/Bottom of cart: Has some rusting at spots and is pretty brittle. Not sure if anything can be done about this, or if I just clean it up the best I can and chalk it up to it being a $150 grill.
5.) Thermometer: Has some moisture inside of it. Has been in it for a few days now. Not sure again if I should just let it go or try and replace.
6.) Igniter: Is just hanging at the side of the unit. Replaced the battery but still can’t get any sparks.
7.) Inner Lid: There is a covering on the inside of the lid that is very rusted and flaking apart. The picture with my finger in it shows where I can peel it back and it just falls apart under my finger.
8.) Handle/Badge: The Weber badge on the lid is peeling in spots as is the handle right where it meets the lid. I have a picture showing this
9.) Doors: There is all kinds of rust/corrosion on the bottoms of the inside of both doors. Also magnets on both are rusted and in pieces. The right door has a ding on the far right side by the handle and the door also does not line up properly.
10.) Side Burner: This actually seems to be alright. I plan on just using some BKR or soap and water to clean up the inside of it.
11.) Side Burner Lid: This is not in good shape. There is some rust and corrosion all over it. I plan on just using some BKF on it unless there are better ideas.
12.) Bottom Bucket?: The actual bottom of the grill beneath the burners seems to be rusting out. I don’t think this is too bad and may be able to just clean it up a bit. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.
13.) Large pull out tray: Seems a little rusty but could probably be cleaned up.
14.) Inside/Outside Cabinet: Overall has some rust spots and is just very dirty. Going to just try and clean this up. Not sure if I should just use some BKF or a good degreaser.
15.) Tank Gauge: It does not slide very smooth and just sticks at a whatever level I leave it at. I may just try to shoot some WD40 inside of it to loosen up.
16.) Anything Else: Is there anything that I did not mention that you can notice in the pictures that I should take care of?

Last edited:
Oh boy you have a mess on your hands. To say that was not taken care of is an understatement. Nothing short of completely stripping that down and rust removal, repainting and such will bring it back. I would suggest going to a hardware store and getting all new stainless steel fasteners too.

I would give Weber CS a call. They basically replaced every rusted part of my 9 year old Genesis Gold B for free including free shipping. The only thing that is original now is the frame, manifold, wheels and knobs.

Cool thread! I am currently rehabbing a Genesis E-310 that I snagged on craigslist. We should compare notes along the way, but you have a bigger project on your hands. I think a good cleaning and new burners and flavorizers will get you up and running.

I'm curious if Weber is willing to give free replacement parts to second owners. I have a couple things that need replaced but my grill has year code = DI, so 2007. I think I'm outside of the warranty unless it's longer than 5 years.

Well I talked to Weber CS yesterday and they were awesome. They are sending me a brand new lid assembly, burners, flavorizer bars, and door magnets all under warranty. Also coming is a new igniter and warming rack (that was missing) that will cost me about $35.

This weekend I plan on disassembling the grill and really giving it a good cleaning. I have a power washer that I am going to try on the inside of the cook box and inner cabinet. Otherwise it's going to be a lot of soap and water, BKF, steel wool (maybe) and of course elbow grease.

Unfortunately, all of the parts from Weber are shipping separately and arriving at different days throughout next week. Hopefully though I should have some nice pictures to show everybody by next weekend.

I don't know if I will have this grill looking like it did when it "rolled off the showroom floor" but I think it should look pretty damn good and function like new. For what looks like an approximate $200 total investment I will be pretty happy with that.

Andy, where did you find your grill and how much did it cost you? I would like to see some pictures if you can get them up.

As for the warranty, I am not sure about 2nd owners. My grill was never registered so I had registered it online under my name before I called in. It couldn't hurt to try though. I would call and explain your situation and see what they could do. I have found that being very reasonable and polite on the phone goes a long way. Nobody wants to hear someone demanding to get parts or acting like they are owed something. It looks doubtful that you could get any warranty parts though. I know the E series have shorter warranty periods then the EP and S series. Plus it looks like you are already into year 6. Let me know how things turn out though.

Andy, where did you find your grill and how much did it cost you? I would like to see some pictures if you can get them up.

As for the warranty, I am not sure about 2nd owners. My grill was never registered so I had registered it online under my name before I called in. It couldn't hurt to try though. I would call and explain your situation and see what they could do. I have found that being very reasonable and polite on the phone goes a long way. Nobody wants to hear someone demanding to get parts or acting like they are owed something. It looks doubtful that you could get any warranty parts though. I know the E series have shorter warranty periods then the EP and S series. Plus it looks like you are already into year 6. Let me know how things turn out though.

I got it locally (St. Louis, MO) on craigslist. Paid $175. It's NG and I have to replace the manifold to convert to LP. I ordered it online yesterday. I will post some pics, but I wish I had taken some "before" shots. I've already gotten it cleaned up quite a bit. The previous owner took good care of it. It's great on the inside but was dirty on the outside.

It should also have an aluminum drip tray to put the foil liners in.

I currently doing a 2007 Summit S650 with many similarities to yours. The side burner area will clean up GREAT! Is your burner cap porcelain coated? Mine was cast brass but was very blackened from use. A few minutes in the bead blast cabinet made it look like new, and the cast aluminum burner as well. The side burner grate cleaned up with some steel wool and once I cleaned the gook out of the side burner "tray" area, it shined up nicely with some 0000 steel wool.
Those SS rod main grates clean up nicely with a wire wheel.

Although their written warranty makes no reference to the original owner, a Weber CS rep told me that it only applies to the original owner. Also, as has been stated on here before, if your serial number is unreadable and you don't have the original owner's manual with the serial number sticker on it, they will not give you any warranty even if you are the original owner.

Get On Weber site and down load the manual for this grill I have a 2007 S310 and the frame parts are 10 year warranty and the stainles is of the 25 year type, alot of the surface rust on the stainless just rubs off with polish like you would on a car like Meguiares 105/205. your biggest headach is the bottom and side panels they should stand behind those get you model# and serial # in hand and call them up S/N should under the right side table back by the controls on a sticker on the bottom of the table surface.

Keep us up to date on this project looks interesting i am looking for a side burner for mine and would mostly likly end up buying a CL terrible shape unit.

Back