trying the atc for a HH brisket will it do it?

G.Siek

Its a nice day out today and figured I try a hh brisket cook with the atc. i did one other brisket over the weekend without it which temps went well just wanted to see if the guru with a 10cfm fan could get it there. after going through my logs lid temp is pretty consistently 13-18 degrees cooler than grate temp if i was to try the high heat cook and want a lid temp of 325-350 would the guru pit temp be set at 340-365(using 15 degrees for argument sake) to try to overcome the difference in temp? even if this is correct has anyone had luck using the atc to reach a lid temp in the 325-350 temp with the atc alone. using a 10CFM fan I was planning on a full ring k blue 3/4 chimney full lit minion start. top vent 100% and atc taking over to get it up there. weather is pretty nice here today 40 degrees and sunny slight breeze. I even moved the smoker to the sun.

well here we go follow up to smoke just hit wrong key and lost whole post anywho..
Procedure was as posted above: full lit 3/4 chimney dumped onto full ring of kblue 5 fist sized chunks of cherry/ hickory spread on and near top of unlit briquettes. cooker assembled and meat put on. Brisket was a 7 1/2lb flat fridge temp meat that was rubbed and sat on counter till smoker was lit and ready.(20min.) meat was on at 11:45 Meat temp was 45. Guru was set to 360 with bottom two vents closed. lid vent 100% open. at 11:50 grate was 231 and lid was 215 at 12:20 grate temp was 288 and lid was 275 fan cycling 90% and baffle full open. at 12:42 grate was 322 and lid 305 at the on hour mark it was 325 grate and 310 lid fan was still running 90% so I decided to open bottom two vents one probe width 1/8-3/16" by 1:05 grate temp was 348 and lid was 320 fan cycling 80% left everything alone to see if it leveled out at 2:00 the meat temp was 170 grate temp 348 and lid temp 330 foiled meat and put back on fan was cycling 60% temps stayed the same till 3:30 when I checked meat probe felt a little resistance so I put it back on till 4:00 temps were still holding and fan cycle was the same. checked meat again seemed to be cooked(probed easy) removed and foiled. in towels in cooler for two and half hours till dinner. Meat had a 1/8 to 3/16 smoke ring slight smoke flavor and moist and tender. it was success for me thanks to all the great info here. I really like the HH method. So for me I guess for a base line test the guru itself can support the 325 degree grate temp with vents closed but the 360 range is out of reach using the technique I used above. Maybe More lit coals would have gotten closer but I dont think it would have made the 350 mark The smoker was in the sun and the outside temp at start of cook was 38 and climbed to 42 by the end.

Did you use the Guru on your 18" or 22" WSM?

I have no problem getting my Large Big Green Egg or 18" WSM to 350+ with my Guru 10CFM fan.

The big bullet is another story...

Did you use a full to the rim charcoal and I assume you didn't put any water in your pan. I've been successful in getting temps to sustain at 350 on my WSM. Anything more than that I'd be grillin'

Back