Trying my first Butt today...

Travis Rudd

Wish me luck
icon_redface.gif
)

Good luck
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Keep the temp steady at about 235 +/-, take it off when the bone feels loose in the meat - then foil it and let it rest about an hour wrapped on towels in a warm (or RT) cooler

Thanks -rich langer-

I'm a little worried because the temperature is about 249-degrees. Is this okay? I was thinking that the temperature at the meat would be lower, what do you think?

249*F is FINE - a butt is a great thing to cook first bacause you almost can't louse it up - and pulled pork is my second fav bbq (simple smoked salmon is first)

Relax and have an adult beverage
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Travis,

Butts are very forgiving. Temps anywhere from 220 to 300 will work well. Try to get the temps stabilized, take notes, don't peek. Let it cook for 10 hours, then see how it's doing.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

JimT

They said it - RELAX.

If you're watching the meat temps, don't panic if it stalls around 165 - 175 or so for a long time. It'll get there.

Thanks guys!

I'm not gonna lie, I've looked at the meat twice and I promised my wife I wouldn't look anymore :O)

Any extra tips, keep them coming. I will be checking back to this thread for the rest of the night.

Just so we all know, Travis--what size butt was it when you purchased it? Did you trim it at all? Bone-in, right? Are you tracking the internal temp with any sort of remote therm? Are you using Kingsford or lump for fuel? How long has it been cooking?

Welcome to the board, btw. Where are you located?

Good luck Travis! I'm doing 4 butts at the moment and my lid temp is 250*, but the grate is 214* (according to my therms). These are the temps my WSM likes to sit at and since it is well within the desired temps, I just let it go.

The answers to any questions you might have are on this site. I would never have started smokin nor known how to proceed without the info from this site and these good folks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Just so we all know, Travis--what size butt was it when you purchased it? Did you trim it at all? Bone-in, right? Are you tracking the internal temp with any sort of remote therm? Are you using Kingsford or lump for fuel? How long has it been cooking?

Welcome to the board, btw. Where are you located? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charlotte, NC here, GO TARHEELS!

Two Bone-in Butts about 9.5lb each (about 8.25 after trimming). Purchased individually from BiLo. No, I'm not tracking the internal temp with any kind of remote therm. ALWAYS KINGSFORD. I started earlier this afternoon around 7PM EST and hopefully the Butts will be ready Sunday afternoon around 11AM and served for the football game at 4PM. I will probably turn the butts right at 12 hours. Is this to earlier or to late??

I have been tracking the temperature of the smoker about every hour or so. I doing pretty good, between 220 and 240.

I did a lot of reading before I started this project. Smoking isn't as simple as some think.
Many thanks to the posters on this website and the webmasters for all of the FREE information.

But I do have some questions for you guys:
1. What happens if my water gets low?
2. Do I have to rotate the charcoal at anytime?
3. Have often and when do I start basting?
4. Can I over cook the Butts?

1. If the water gets low, you probably will see a temp spike. If you have a plant water can with a long spout, it will work good to add some water. If not, use a gallon jug (milk carton for ex).

2. That is your choice. I don't even turn mine. Some turn it once, some turn and rotate, others use a 'half time' method - turn and rotate half way through, then again half way from that time to the end.

3. Again, I don't use a baste, but usually those that baste, do so when they turn.

4. Butts have a lot of forgiveness. Recommended internal temp is 190*, but you can go to 205 or so without much loss.

Bill

How's is it going, Travis?

Like Bill, I don't flip or baste either. If you are using the standard waterpan it's likely you've already needed to re-fill it. Possibly not if you have the Brinkman replacement. Ash build-up from the spent coals will cause temps to drop. Some us tap the legs of the cooker to get the ash to fall through the grate, others stir the coals gently (I do the latter).

As I'm sure you know, when the meat is done double-wrap in HD foil (individually) and stick in a cooler with towels to rest and hold till pull time. They can go quite a while and stay quite hot in the cooler. (At that point, btw, is the only time I flip--when I pull a butt out to wrap I flip it then.)

Have a great dinner.

Welcome Travis,

Glad to have another NC smoker - how is your cook going this am?

I am a few hours east of you and I finished a PB yesterday - best BBQ ever! And like Kruger, I do not turn or baste.

Good luck to you.

Back