Trouble w/ Polder Thermometer

Mike Felt

TVWBB Member
My polder digital is acting funny today. Running very high, so I attempted to calibrate it in ice water. Reads 140 F when submerged in ice water, and I cannot get the calibration button to do anything. I tried a new battery but got the same result. Any ideas here? Thanks

You cant levae polder probes in the pit or oven they are only for a read on the meat when you have a few minutes. The exposure to the temps blew out your probe. You can buy new probes but I would suggest a ET-73, NuTemp, or a Thermapen.

Thanks
Rick

Thanks. I'm sure you are correct on this. I don't recall leaving the probe in the cooker for any extended period, but maybe more than an "instant" check did the damage.

thanks

That may depend on which Polder you're using. I have several models that I've been using for three+ years in both the big stickburners and in the WSMs that stay in the cookers for the whole cook. I use them both for continuously monitoring meat temp and cooker temp. I HAVE killed two Polder probes by kinking the leads in a stick-burner door, and I brought one to an early demise by positioning it such that meat was dripping into the joint between the wire and the probe. It definitely doesn't like that.

That being said, I have two ET-73s that I ordered way back on the first day that they were originally released, and I'm still using both of them. Also have a Nu-Temp with three probe units, which I usually reach for first. I see where there are now Thermopens with interchangable tips and available lead wires as well, such that you can hold the unit in one hand and reach way back into the cooker to check temps with the other. Andrew Delahunty at Thermoworks also told me that they now have two types of smoker probes that you can leave in the smoker while you cook, and the plug mount will rest outside so you can check the temp at your leisure. Not cheap, but fun toys!

Keri C

Back