trouble getting WSM hot enough, any tips?

Michael Iler

My family requested that I smoke some food for the holidays, so I was happy to try and fullfill their requests.
I tried to smoke a rib roast one night and a 12lb turkey the next night.
I prepared the smoker using the standard method and 1-1/2 unlit coals. Problem I had was I could never get the smoker above 325 degrees F.
Any tricks to get the smoker hotter?
An extra note I was dealing with was outside temps in the 30s and it was windy (I live in metro Detroit).

I was thinking about building a wind shield out of some scrap wood, but wasn't sure if the cold temps or the wind was my worst enemy.

Thanks for the help.

Well 325 cruse temp is good. You cant get the WSM to run mutch hotter for a long time. What did you cook that needed over the 325-350 temps?

If you were using the WSM (as you say), this post should have been in the BBQ forum, not grilling.

In any case, the wind shield would have lowered the temps even more.

My recent cook at 325 desired, with the vents at 50% at times it would rise to 380 and I had an issue getting it down. Outside temp was about -6 C and mild wind.

That was with 1 full chimney (lit) and then adding 3/4 unlit on top. Top vent fully open. Bottom vents at 50%.

If you need hotter, you have to increase the air flow not decrease it (ie: wind block would decrease temps).

Did you have an empty water pan or did you fill it with water/clay saucer? If you used water or the saucer, that would lower the cooking temps and definitely prevent hi temps as well.

My WSM 22 will peg the lid thermometer with no problem with all of the vents open and a full ring of charcoal......I actually have to shut it down a bit to run at 350-375.

I've heard folks say they'll prop the side door open a bit to increase air flow, which will increase the temps if you need too.

oh.....and I use the minion method with a full ring of unlit coals and a half chimney of lit coals when I want to go high heat.

.....and definitely use a foiled pan with no water; water in the pan is a heat sink

In any case, the wind shield would have lowered the temps even more.
Only occasionally true. If it is windy it can blow the heat right out of there. A bit of a breeze entering one vent can help boost temps; a wind won't.

I cook at 350-375 for several hours easily; could go longer but th food is done by then. I don't usually fight cold temps but still need to increase airflow to hit higher temps, even with an empty foiled pan inside. I flip the WSM's door upside down (so the handle is on the bottom) and prop the door open slightly. An alternative, if you have the 22 with the curved door, is to crack the lid open a little. This increases draft and increasing draft means a hotter fire.

Michael, all good suggestion here. Higher heat results from increased air flow and increased fuel. Tipping the door and opening the lid do work. I,as well as others here have chosen to install extra vents both top and bottom with good results and a clean look.

Mark

Don't remember who suggested it, but the easiest way to raise temps is to simply put a shim under the lid to unseat it a bit. I'd probably still have to crack the door on my bullet if wanting to cook much over 300*, though.

Originally posted by Mike_L (Big Mike):
Also are you going by the lid thermometer? I found out last week that my lid thermometer was off by 60 degrees on the low side.

60 degrees low?!
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Michael Iler:
My family requested that I smoke some food for the holidays, so I was happy to try and fullfill their requests.
I tried to smoke a rib roast one night and a 12lb turkey the next night.
I prepared the smoker using the standard method and 1-1/2 unlit coals. Problem I had was I could never get the smoker above 325 degrees F.
Any tricks to get the smoker hotter?
An extra note I was dealing with was outside temps in the 30s and it was windy (I live in metro Detroit).

I was thinking about building a wind shield out of some scrap wood, but wasn't sure if the cold temps or the wind was my worst enemy.

Thanks for the help.
I wish I could get 325 with less than 2 unlit coals!

Seriously, 325 is good for turkey. Usually, when my WSM won't get hot enough, it's a combination of tightly packed coals and ash restricting air flow. Taking off the middle section (handle mod), stirring the coals, and putting the middle section back on usually fixes it.

One of the reasons I started using the WSM was because of these discussion forums. I do appreciate all the advice and help. I do apologize for posting a topic in the incorrect forum. I will try to move it.

I was cooking a 4 lb prime rib roast (tried to follow the recipe Chris has for the herb rib roast), and then a 12lb fresh turkey (apple brine recipe).

I do not use my lid temp gage, it is off 40 degrees F, I use a maverick ET 732.

I will try to crack the lid and add a second lid vent.

Thanks.
Michael (1st year WSM user, many years BBQ lover).

Hey, no problem Michael! No need to apologize or moving your original topic. Its all about asking questions and getting good reply's as you noticed.
Try cracking you're lid with a metal spatula. Thats what I've been doing lately, and it does help on a stubborn HH.

IMAG0416.jpg

Tim

Originally posted by timothy:
Hey, no problem Michael! No need to apologize or moving your original topic. Its all about asking questions and getting good reply's as you noticed.
Try cracking you're lid with a metal spatula. Thats what I've been doing lately, and it does help on a stubborn HH.

IMAG0416.jpg

Tim
With those wheels, your WSM REALLY looks like R2D2.

Back