Trouble connecting to raspberry pie

RBennett

So I got a new router and needed to change the wireless password and name on my Heatermeter v 4.0 . I tried plugging it into Ethernet with no luck, the router light showing activity in the port never turned on.
- I upgraded with the newest version of Heatermeter software and changed the config file to automatically connect, but I have no luck with that working.
- I tried plugging raspberry pi into tv with hdmi but no signal is being sent.
- I took the raspberry pi off and used it alone with a different SD card with linux and it worked fine.
- I also tried to plug the raspberry pi into Ethernet on the router again with no activity light lighting up on the router for that port.
- The raspberry pi activity light does not appear to be blinking.

So I'm confused as to what is going on here with the new software. It appears as if the raspberry pi acts dead (no activity) when using the new software update. The heatermeter core works fine still, just missing the wireless feature through the raspberry pi. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Last edited:
Did you try the wired lan when you were running linux on the rPi, did your router link light come on then?

Yes. Before and after I uploaded the software update I plugged the Ethernet cable into the router and the router light for the same number port did not illuminate. It acts as if the raspberry pi is bricked or something.

Again, when I put other Linux software on the raspberry pi it works fine, and the heater meter core works fine. If I unplug the raspberry pi from the heater meter, the heater meter will not run.

My router is configured for 192.168.8.... And DHCP is auto.

Last edited:
If you unplug the RasPi from the HeaterMeter board and the HeaterMeter doesn't work, it sounds like you don't have the 3.3v regulator installed on the HeaterMeter board, as this was an optional component with the 4.0 build.

Again, when you said you had linux on the rPi and it was working fine, was the LAN cable connected and working, your router showing that port connected etc?
As for the HM not working when it's not connected to the rPi, as steve pointed out, v4.0 HM had the 3.3v regulator as "optional", if you didnt install the 3.3v reg the HM will not run without the rPi. The v4.0 power scheme was like this, 12v in to HM, OKI board on HM makes 5V, 5v is fed to the rPi and 3.3v comes back from the rPi to the HM to power the logic section of the HM.

Last edited:
Again, when you said you had linux on the rPi and it was working fine, was the LAN cable connected and working, your router showing that port connected etc?
As for the rPi not working when it's not connected to the HM, as steve pointed out, v4.0 HM had the 3.3v regulator as "optional", if you didnt install that on the HM board the HM will not run without the rPi

I did not try plugging the ethernet in, only booting up with HDMI plugged in. I will try after these briskets are done smoking.

I did not try plugging the ethernet in, only booting up with HDMI plugged in. I will try after these briskets are done smoking.

OK just tried it. Ethernet light comes on and works fine with my Linux boot. Does not work with heater meter boot.

Extra info:
Used openwrt-rpi.zip 2016-02-26 16:28 7.5M from http://heatermeter.com/devel/release/bcm2708/13/.

Used my Windows 8 laptop with 512mb micro sd plugged into port to format it using Win32 Disk Imager.

Config files and everything appears fine on the SD card.

Last edited:
OK just tried it. Ethernet light comes on and works fine with my Linux boot. Does not work with heater meter boot.

Extra info:
Used openwrt-rpi.zip 2016-02-26 16:28 7.5M from http://heatermeter.com/devel/release/bcm2708/13/.

Used my Windows 8 laptop with 512mb micro sd plugged into port to format it using Win32 Disk Imager.

Config files and everything appears fine on the SD card.

Okay got it working. Cleaned the SD card with alcohol and volia. Its the card ive always used in it and I think the springs on the pi have probably got a little lose. Oh well fixed now anyway.

Back