Tropical Chicken Salad

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Here is something that just hit the spot during these hot, hot days. It was VERY GOOD!!!!!!!

Tropical Chicken Salad

2 boneless chicken breast (about 1 lb. total)
1/2 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger
1 cup diced celery
1 cup pineapple tidbits or chopped fresh, drained
1 TB. finely minced onion
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2-1 tsp. salt
1 cup green seedless grapes
1 11oz. can Mandarin oranges, drained
6 ripe olives, sliced (black or green)
1/2 cup toasted, slivered almonds

Place the chicken in a kettle along with the five spice and ginger. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Cook over medium heat until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, let cool, then dice. Place the celery, pineapple, onion, mayonnaise and salt in a serving bowl. Mix well. Add the diced chicken, grapes and oranges. Gently mix. Fold in the olives and almonds. Chill for a while or serve right away. Serves: 4-6

Source: Penzey-2013

Here is something that just hit the spot during these hot, hot days. It was VERY GOOD!!!!!!!

Tropical Chicken Salad

2 boneless chicken breast (about 1 lb. total)
1/2 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger
1 cup diced celery
1 cup pineapple tidbits or chopped fresh, drained
1 TB. finely minced onion
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2-1 tsp. salt
1 cup green seedless grapes
1 11oz. can Mandarin oranges, drained
6 ripe olives, sliced (black or green)
1/2 cup toasted, slivered almonds

Place the chicken in a kettle along with the five spice and ginger. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Cook over medium heat until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, let cool, then dice. Place the celery, pineapple, onion, mayonnaise and salt in a serving bowl. Mix well. Add the diced chicken, grapes and oranges. Gently mix. Fold in the olives and almonds. Chill for a while or serve right away. Serves: 4-6

Source: Penzey-2013
That sounds good. Do the black olives play nicely with all the fruit? :unsure:

I'm liking that a lot, thanks for posting it, already got it printed up, I'll see what the Finance Minister/War Department thinks of it.

I'm liking that a lot, thanks for posting it, already got it printed up, I'll see what the Finance Minister/War Department thinks of it.
Hi Rich, I sure hope you make it. I don't mean to sound like a cry baby, but hardly anyone over the years I have been posting recipes, ever let's me know if they make them. I have been checking a lot of recipes lately that I have posted and sad to say, most of them have 0 replys. (thankfully a lot of them do have a lot of viewers, but :unsure: it is hard to tell if anyone does make the recipe.)

Hi Rich, I sure hope you make it. I don't mean to sound like a cry baby, but hardly anyone over the years I have been posting recipes, ever let's me know if they make them. I have been checking a lot of recipes lately that I have posted and sad to say, most of them have 0 replys. (thankfully a lot of them do have a lot of viewers, but :unsure: it is hard to tell if anyone does make the recipe.)
I understand. I wrote your name on it and we put it into our do soon folder. Can't say exactly when we will do it, but with your name on it that should trigger me to let you know how we liked it.

I have to second what @Rich Dahl said -- already copied to my personal recipes. And I will be sending both this and the Blue Cheese Slaw to my sister -- with full credit of course. Personally copied and posted by you. :giggle:

I understand. I wrote your name on it and we put it into our do soon folder. Can't say exactly when we will do it, but with your name on it that should trigger me to let you know how we liked it.
Thank you!!!!! Your do soon folder is probably like ours. lol I put a date on them when they go in the folder and try to make them in order. We are still working on March's. :rolleyes::giggle:

I have to second what @Rich Dahl said -- already copied to my personal recipes. And I will be sending both this and the Blue Cheese Slaw to my sister -- with full credit of course. Personally copied and posted by you. :giggle:
Wow, thank you also Rich. You guys are making me cry again. THANK YOU, THANK YOU BOTH!!!!!!

Well, looks like we are not the only ones who forgot about this recipe. lol DH said he is going to make this for us today. We shall see. lol

Oh, he also asked me to find a good chicken soup recipe for the left over bones. :eek:

I have 3 more chicken salad recipes to post. It is going to be very hard to decide which one to make first. :unsure:

Back