Trimmings from St. Louis style spareribs

Bill Rogers

TVWBB Member
Today I wanted to smoke the trimmings that I had frozen from a batch of St. Louis style spareribs.
I have had good success using the 2-2-1 method with ribs.
How long would I smoke the trimmings? All that I have been able to find on the net are things to the effect of "only smoke them for a few hours."

Try cooking them whole for 2 hours. Then, cut into servings and mix with apple juice and/or sauce in foil pan and cook for another hour. At that point, try one and go from there. I'd do this at 250.

i have always smoked the trimmings with the st louis ribs. i salt and pepper them heavily and smoke for 3 hours or so. then i freeze them and use to season beans,collard greens,green beans,etc.

I smoke them with the ribs and usually pull them off in about 3 hours as well. Little less for really thin stuff. Makes for tasty snacks when you are slaving away smoking ribs.

Around SC, anything cooked in rice is a winner!

I simmer the spare rib trimmings (riblets) in a LeCrueset with onion, sage, bay leaf until tender.

Measure broth, add meat back in, and combine half as much rice as liquids. Cook rice as normal (20-25 minutes and rest) and your neighbors will knock your door down if not invited!

Back