Trimming Wholesale Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
The last two times I bought a wholesale cryovac brisket was the last two weekends. Each time, I trimmed and trimmed for over a half hour. Seemed like a LOT of work. I began to wonder if I was trimming too much or using too dull of a knife. Anyway, I got to a point part way down the cap where I was carving INTO a cavity of hard icky fat. Was I supposed to trim that? I kept digging and digging out fat, to the point where there was what I would like to call a "cliff" of meat (it really looked like a cliff for ants to jump off of), and the cap seemed like it was just a ball of meat hanging ready to fall off the rest of the brisket. Am I digging too much fat out? It was an 11lb brisket when I started. I weighed the fat when I was done on a postal scale and it was around 3lbs.

Anyway, it should be done in a couple hours!!!!!!!!!! <drool>

Hmmm, Russ, I wouldn't suggest trimming at all, unless it's a piece of dangling fat that would not serve to baste the meat, as it cooks. Each one is different and will take between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours per pound at ~ 225? (to answer your 'Brisket cooking time' question). Cooked fat-side up until the internal temperature reaches ~ 195?, the fat will keep the brisket basted as it renders out, leaving very little behind. Some people like to turn them fat-side down for the last half of the cook and some even wrap them up in foil for the last half. Try each method and see what works best for you and your taste.

Russ,

There are different opinions about trimming fat on a brisket. Some will leave all fat intact and cook as-is. I follow the method I learned from Paul Kirk, which is to trim down to 1/8-1/4" on the fat side and the edges. I will trim into that pocket of fat a little bit, but not so far that the point begins to separate from the flat. Sounds like you trimmed that pocket a bit too much. Some folks will not do any trimming in that area.

This photo shows how I trim that pocket on a whole brisket.

Regards,
Chris

Russ, what can one say? It looks good enough to eat! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yes, Chris, Paul Kirks method should work very well and your picture makes it look like it would. I've never tried it that way, but will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back