trimming spare ribs to st louis

ERNESTO GOMEZ

Hello i was wondering if its necesary to trim the spare ribs into s.t. louis before i put it on the smoker or would it meke a difference

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ERNESTO GOMEZ:
Hello i was wondering if its necesary to trim the spare ribs into s.t. louis before i put it on the smoker or would it meke a difference </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't bother with cutting mine into St. Louis cut but I do pull the membrane off of the ribs.

I trim to St Louis and smoke everything, use the trimmings for chef treats and beans and or chop it up and use it on sandwiches.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
I always trim. That extra meat goes into green chile verde! Or some killer tacos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto - been doing the St. Louis thing the last few rib cooks. Also I have pulled the meat from the tips (this was a 6 rack cook) and had some really good "pulled rib" sammies. Also used some of the pulled rib meat and mixed it in with some pulled pork. Both were big hits. Point and Skirt meat went into baked beans and some went into chili.

St. Louis cut spares will cook faster at any given grate temp if that means anything to you. Not hard at all to trim yourself.

Just provides a lot more flexibility. I still like them whole too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Davis:
I trim to St Louis and smoke everything, use the trimmings for chef treats and beans and or chop it up and use it on sandwiches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto what Mark said. The trimmings are great in beans.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ERNESTO GOMEZ:
Hello i was wondering if its necesary to trim the spare ribs into s.t. louis before i put it on the smoker or would it meke a difference </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ernesto, if you trim these to St Louis style the way they do at comps it makes it easier to fit the ribs in the WSM.

I never do. I just remove the membrane.I like the idea of using the extra meat for other things like beans or a sandwich though.

Welcome, Ernesto !

I trim mine....I just like the "look" and the "fit" better...also, I like the trimmings for the "cook's snack" or to use in beans, etc as others have posted
icon_smile.gif

I also like to remove the membrane....if you haven't already, be sure to read Chris's articles about trimming ribs, etc, off the Main Page. I was unsure I wanted to (or could !) do it, but after following his directions, it's easy !

Dean...

I trim and put the trimmings on the smoker along with the spares.

By the time I foil the trimmings are usually done and provide GREAT snacks for the cook and his spouse!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil R.:
I trim and put the trimmings on the smoker along with the spares.

By the time I foil the trimmings are usually done and provide GREAT snacks for the cook and his spouse!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep - I really like St. Louis for the same reason. Lots of flexibility and fast cooks on the ribs themselves and they look pretty too!

I plan to smoke some spare ribs, trimmed St. Louis-style, next week. I'm hoping to take the trimmings and grind them into fresh sausage.

Anybody have a tried and true recipe for copy-cat Jimmy Dean Hot sausage?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">fast cooks on the ribs themselves and they look pretty too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I am cooking my first set of spares. I put them in the WSM at 12:30 Eastern. How long should they be in there? I also have all the extra meat I trimmed up cooking. I know those will take a shorter time so was going to check on those in two hours.

Paul, what temp are you running at and where are you measuring? I do my St. Louis style (trimmed) spares at 225 grate around 7 hours give or take depending on if I'm doing them for myself or others. Other's typically want fall off the bone while I prefer a gentle tug. Hope this helps.

I do both. I cook with my brother in law a lot and he just cuts the flap off for treats.

I always pull the membrane no matter what but sometimes we cook 27 racks and it is his cook so I do what he wants. it is on a big grill high heat and the ribs always turn out good.

They sure look pretty all cleaned up so that is the way I do them and cook the scraps for snacks. I do more baby back them spares mainly because that is what the wife wants and I like them just as well.

Back