trimming ribs

dave_k

Probably a very basic question, so I apologize but I was wondering about trimming ribs. I always buy the cryovac swift ribs from costco. One or two of the slabs always has a the big piece of meat on top of the ribs at the end. I've seen people trim this off. I usually leave it on and people have never complained. It seems wasteful to just chop it off. I know if looks better and is easier to manage. What is correct?

Originally posted by dave_k:
I know if looks better and is easier to manage. What is correct?

I have seen a lot of people cut it off so the ribs themselves are more uniformed shape and they look 'prettier'. One option though is I have seen people take those extra pieces and throw them on the smoker as well. One would think that these extra pieces would be prime 'experimental' pieces for sauces and rubs to play with while waiting for the main course. Just a thought though.

I'm guessin' you're talkin' 'bout Baby Backs
icon_smile.gif
... I trim it to make the rack more uniform and therefore done more evenly
icon_wink.gif
... I think what may be correct in this case is to smoke that piece for a "taster"
icon_razz.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

makes sense. How many full slabs can you get on the 18.5? I've done 6 before and it seemed pretty tight.

Originally posted by Eric H:
correct
what?

just because its trimmed doesn't mean its wasted.

Whatever makes you happy!!

Again - the analogy to think about is ribs/chicken

Just because you part out a chicken doesn't mean you throw any of the parts away?

When you trim ribs to create St. Louis or whatever all of those pieces would be left on and just cooks along with everything else.

When you trim your spares it's just to make the rack look pretty, cook faster, etc. Everything gets used, just cooked along but seperate.

So nothing wrong with trimming that piece, but definitely wrong if it get wasted
icon_cool.gif

I usually trim "St Louis Style" before cooking my ribs. I know people who just throw them on without even taking off the membrane. Either way is correct. I cook the trimmed part along with the ribs. They are done sooner so you can have a snack or put them in a cooler for the main meal. Nothing is wasted. If you want to trim, here's how:
http://www.virtualweberbullet....ibprep.html#trimming

Well ... people are less likely to complain when they're being served free BBQ.

That big piece at the end is the sternum.

I trim my ribs St Louis style. It makes them prettier and cook evenly.

But nothing is wasted as the sternum and trimings get cooked as well. Trimings as treats for the cook, sternum as treats for the dogs.

All my trimmins are put into my DFB (dam fine beans)cooked and smoked. MMMMMMM it sure ads a nice flavor.

It sounds like you are talking about the thick, dark, delicious meat on top of the bones on the thicker end of baby backs. The ones from Costco have a very thick layer of meat on one end. I just started filleting it down to make it even with the rest of the rack. I love eating the trimmed-off meat after it cooks for about an hour. It is a great way to taste the smoke and the rub. I also like the way the ribs cook and look this way.

In competition, I would definitely trim it down.... Back yard... Do what feels good.

I know exactly what you're talking about. That also occurs here in Loblaw's when they have a rib sale. I don't usually trim that bulge [which might actually be tenderloin,] but I think I'm going to start. The reason is even cooking, not appearance.I'll put the trimmed pieces on the smoker and use them for flavour in beans, making tacos, or etc. So I don't worry about appearance, but I do about cooking times: if one end is real skinny, and the other real fat, it's hard for them to come out even.

Cheers

I think I'm going to try trimming them, althoughI dont know if I'll have room on the smoker. I'm going to try and cram 7-8 slabs on my 18.5 this weekend. Maybe I'll just toss them on the gasser with the chickens.

Back