Trimming Brisket

I don't trim at all usually. If I do it is only much of the fat knot where the flat meats the point.

(He could stand a sharper knife and some steeling instruction.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
(He could stand a sharper knife and some steeling instruction.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. It was torture, I couldn't watch it all. His knife skills were lacking to say the least.
I rarely trim except for the one big edge of 1/2" fat off a packer brisket. That would have been his first few cuts/attempt of removing the fat in the video. I usually do flats. The ones I buy are trimmed down, so no trimming needed.

LOL...agreed about the knife skills...Doug I rewatched and it does look like he eats a trimming...but I think he just wipes his face with the back of his hand...thetrimming is still attached.

he said he doesn't like to chew on silver skin but those same guys somewhere on youtube left the membrane on the back of some ribs because "it helps keep the moisture in" he said. Guess membrane chews better then silverskin. sorry had to say somethin'
icon_smile.gif
. glad to have this site.

These days I only trim into the point.

I found that trimming anything else wasn't necessary.

The knife skills this guy showed were less than adept.

I love "internet experts". They get themselves a camera and some downtime. Next thing you know they post something on the web trying to school everybody. Then they get clowned by people who know otherwise.

I started watching the video with a fresh cup of coffee, at the 4 minute mark I added Crown Royal.
icon_eek.gif
What a travesty to brisket............

I do not trim at all until it's time to slice. At that point I scrape the fat off.

I could only watch a minute or two of it. I just trim the really thick areas more than a 1/4 inch thick. Just to clean it up without losing flavor.

Wow, that thing looks absolutely mangled.

I used to worry about trimming all the fat off, but I now only remove about 8 ounces or so.

Wow, took off the whole fat cap. I usually only hack into the section where the flat connects to the point. I'll cut out a small v-shaped piece from there sometimes. Other than that, it's trimmed after cooking.

My tongue was in my cheek the moment I saw him steeling the knife. Looks like there is about one or two inches mid point on the blade that has some sharpness to it. Uh, wait that's where he hit it with the steel. Every once in a while he tries to use the tip and first few inches and then sometime the heel - don't work, back to lift or supporting the meat so he can cut with the middle of the knife.

So Anyway you guys wouldn't trim a whole packer or at best only down to a quarter inch or so?

I thought MY knife skills were lacking lol. Looks like a rusty knife he found in the tool shed dosent it? I agree with most in that I get rid of the hard white fat but he scalped that thing right down to the lean....
icon_rolleyes.gif

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Martin:
Is this how anyone here trims a brisket?

I've never done one....but am trying to work up to it.

PS. I really like this guys channel on Youtube </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's basically how I do mine. I want to showcase the point for smoking. It speeds up the point for burnt ends, so they are done the same time the flat is done.

I've had some success cooking briskets on the comp circuit. So yes, it does work.

My whole reasoning is... If you leave all the fat on, when you trim it off, you are also trimming off the smoke flavor and all of the rub... Then you have a piece of cooked brisket or point. Where is the added flavor? There isn't any...

Scottie

Wow , what a butcher, wait I think I just insulted butchers everywhere.

He is NOT a butcher.

The best piece of advice from the narator.

"Dont cut yourself with the knife"
icon_rolleyes.gif

I trim the flat fairly closely, but not as closely as he did. I do not trim the point anywhere near as tightly as he does. I also separate the point and cook it above the point.

As for knife skills....let he who is without sin skin the first brisket!

Back