Tricky reheat - Pulled Pork for 60, no oven

Andrew Mason

***skip to bottom to get right to the point***

So I made a bit of a name for myself at my in-laws family reunion last summer. I brought my new at the time 22 bullet 400 miles to Lake Erie and after a pretty much sleepless night, produced some decent BBQ.

Well, they've asked me to repeat this Labor Day weekend, and while I am happy to do it again, the schedule this year isn't going to allow for 12-15 hours total time devoted to BBQ. Now, I've had some success preparing ahead of time and reheating pulled pork in an oven, so confidence that it can be done is high... the problem is, no oven will be available!

I'll have roughly 6, 7-8 lbs picnics pulled and ready for transport ~40 hours before serving, but I need ideas on how to reheat that much without an oven. I've thought of crock-pots, but that quite a few of them, and I've never been a fan of soaking the bbq in sauce before service.

Bottom line:
I typically reheat in an oven set to around 275 using chaffing dishes covered in foil. A light sprinkling of rub and apple juice and its worked so far. If you didn't have an oven, how would go about reproducing that style, for about 25-30 pounds of pulled pork.

Thanks very much,
Andrew

You have to have something to supply heat. What is available?

What is available for time if 12-15 'devoted to BBQ' is not?

Welcome to the board.

Use aluminum foil chaffing dishes and put them in the WSM at 275. I've never done this, but it sounds feasible if you can find pans to fit your smoker. I would use foil pans because the smoke might make a mess out of the outside.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Mason:
***skip to bottom to get right to the point***

So I made a bit of a name for myself at my in-laws family reunion last summer. I brought my new at the time 22 bullet 400 miles to Lake Erie and after a pretty much sleepless night, produced some decent BBQ.

Well, they've asked me to repeat this Labor Day weekend, and while I am happy to do it again, the schedule this year isn't going to allow for 12-15 hours total time devoted to BBQ. Now, I've had some success preparing ahead of time and reheating pulled pork in an oven, so confidence that it can be done is high... the problem is, no oven will be available!

I'll have roughly 6, 7-8 lbs picnics pulled and ready for transport ~40 hours before serving, but I need ideas on how to reheat that much without an oven. I've thought of crock-pots, but that quite a few of them, and I've never been a fan of soaking the bbq in sauce before service.

Bottom line:
I typically reheat in an oven set to around 275 using chaffing dishes covered in foil. A light sprinkling of rub and apple juice and its worked so far. If you didn't have an oven, how would go about reproducing that style, for about 25-30 pounds of pulled pork.

Thanks very much,

Andrew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about using an 18 qt. Electric roaster? Check out Nesco's on Amazon.

Store PP in vacuum storage bags and seal well (double bag and or double seal if necessary). Bring a lobster pot and a propane cooker. Bring water up to temp and place PP bags into cooker until hot. Once hot, cut the bags open and serve in your typical manner.

I'm with John H on this one. A local Q provider vacuum bags his product and you reheat in a pot of boiling water, then open.
Pretty darn close to as good as straight off the smoker. Might be worth looking into one of those home vacuum-sealer setups if this is going to be a repeat (command) performance.

Agreed. Many of us here do that. That's why I asked what was available for heating. Many possibilities but a heat source is essential.

Andrew...?

I like the vacuum, lobster pot, and propane cooker idea. If you don't have a propane cooker, perhaps you could use a WSM to heat the water?

Another vote for the propane cooker + pot.

Besides, you can always throw some corn and potatoes in there too!
icon_wink.gif

Back