Tri tips

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
I have a friend who loves it off the WSM at a higher temp..I have usually grilled mine. Just curious, what do you all prefer? I plan to use the WSM with it tonight though to see if I like it better.

I coat them in Susie Q's seasoning and smoke em at 235 over lump and oak till about 125 internal. Break the WSM down and put the top grate on the charcaol bowl and charr the outside a bit. They turn out a perfect med-med well this way. Don't like my steaks mooing.
icon_biggrin.gif

I do them in the kettle mostly. Make my own rub, sear direct both sides then move to indirect to finish ~122. If I'm doing several I do them like Bryan on the WSM (but with the moo!).

I just finished some tri tip tonight. I cut it into steaks about 1-1/2" thick. Rub them on all sides with a little oil, and rub with a mixture of celery salt, onion powder and garlic pepper. They go on the kettle direct until medium rare, with no sear. For me it grills better like a steak, than it does low and slow. Used some Jack Daniels chips this time with great success. Served them with some home grown Mirai sweet corn, what a great combination!

I do mine standard method, some hickory, and no water pan (equates to about 350-375 with smoke). I sear after; I think one gets better smoke penetration that way. I usually pull at about 125 and rest in foil for about 15 mins (or less, if I've had a few beers and the smell is driving everyone crazy
icon_smile.gif
).

Well I did it on the WSM with an empty WP, (foiled) with kingsford, and hickory. Wonderful, and tasty! We loved it. Thought we might have friends over tonight, but it was just the family, so lots of leftovers.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I do them in the kettle mostly. Make my own rub, sear direct both sides then move to indirect to finish ~122. If I'm doing several I do them like Bryan on the WSM (but with the moo!).
I do em on the SJP also. If I'm doing baked spuds along with the Tri I'll use the WSM. But if I'm just doing the Tri with nothing else to cook with the Tri I use the SJP AKA "little blast furnace"
icon_biggrin.gif

Tri tip is one of my favorite pieces off the cow. I like it cooked on the grill with Wolfe Rub Bold to medium. Well done taste great too, but Im not picky.

When time permits, I like others, use the WSM, no water, get it up to temp first and sear it up at the end. When time doesn't permit, I use the gasser, sear first, finish indirect. Seasoning wise, I use Chris' recipe (Salt, pepper, garlic, parsley) in the cooking section of this fine website and always have a winner no matter how it's cooked.

I always grill mine. Never really seen a need to do them in the WSM, though I suppose if I were doing 6+, then the WSM would be the way to do it.

My favorite method is incredibly basic. Garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil. Here's the explanation from the LA Times.

Back