Tri-Tip - WSM or Kettle?

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
I was reading around this site and it seems most are doing tri-tip at grilling temps..e.g. 350-375.

It seems easier to do this on my kettle weber than in the WSM...indirect cooking etc.

Thoughts on this? Does no one cook this at lower temps?

I was pleased to see that my local Costco had this cut and am trying it this Sunday.

Thx!

I have done all mine on the SJP or the Master Touch Kettle. I sear over direct first then finish indirect. This has produced excellent results.
icon_smile.gif

I agree with the others... Sear direct and finish indirect, I take mine to medium rare.

There is a butcher shop in the Chicago 'burbs who has a special marinated tri-tip (they call it a london broil) that is fantastic cooked this way.

I think if I had both a kettle and a WSM, I'd do tri-tip on the kettle with some smoke wood for flavor.

The article I wrote about doing Tri-tip on the WSM is meant to show that it can be done of the WSM, but I wouldn't say the WSM is superior to a kettle when it comes to cooking tri-tip or grilling of any type, for that matter.

Regards,
Chris

I do both. But prefer kettle for smaller amount. Either way I try to do it a little lower and slower than the apparent "usual" for that cut. I do try to get a little sear going first but by the end of the cook some of it has moistened up with the meat.

Aloha!

Greg

Personally, I prefer the WSM for Tri tip BUT that's because I have a gasser and can't smoke with it (effectively, at least). I leave out the water pan, use the standard method, and use oak (when I have it) or 2 chunks of hickory. 350 for about 15 minutes on each side, followed by a sear on the gasser for about 3 mins. Then, rest for 15-20 mins.

Go for the Kettle. That's the only way I do mine.

Pile all your coals on one side. Rub the tri-tip and sear it up real nice directly over the coals. When you got a good sear and char on it, move it over to the indirect side, stick the probe therm in it, put the lid on and let 'er cook. aBring it up to 125 for rare. Let it rest for 10 minutes tented under foil before slicing accross the grain.

Works like a charm every time.

I LOOOVE a nice grilled tri-tip.
icon_cool.gif

I do mine on the WSM with Humphrey Lump and no pan. I get the internal up to 130 and the take apart the WSM and put the grate right over the coals for an awesome sear.

I might try it on my Performer some day? It just seems to work so well this way.

MikeZ

Back