Tri Tip withdrawals

Tom P

TVWBB Fan
I purged my stash of tri tips from the freezer a while back. Now I'm craving some. Costco, where I used to get them,no longer carries them. I've checked elsewhere with no luck.
Does anyone know where I can get tri tips in the metro Detroit area?

Thanks

Tom

Do they have Trader Joe's in the Motor City? I've been jonesing for a tri,so I picked one up at TJ's yesterday for dinner tonight.

I did try a butcher, they would order but case quantity only.

Yes we have a Trader Joes. I will try there.

Thanks for the input guys.

I would love to give tri-tip a go...Has anyone seen it avaliable in the mid atlantic area...Delaware.

I have a great butcher near my house, and will have to ask if they are avaliable. With that being said, does it go by any other name.

Thanks everyone....

Any Trader Joe's has them. I like the plain ones not "pre marinated" but that's personal preference. They are very nice, but heavily trimmed. I like them with some fat cap on them and with that little ball/club on the end - which is usually trimmed off regardless on the ones I find.

FOR PA/MD/DE:

Look up Trueth's in Maryland. You call them up and order. They often have some in the freezer. But if you call say a week in advance they will have them waiting for you. I usually buy 5-8 at a time. But a couple times called last minute on my way back and just picked up the 2 or 3 they had left in the freezer.

I've done several stops there over the last 3 years on my way back from working in Virginia.

Treuths - Baltimore

Nice folks!

Dropped a couple of these off to Roy Clark a season or so ago and this is where Bryan S. started the group buy runs awhile back. Wish we could do that again - they were extra special.

Local butchers around me wanted a case order. But at the Reading Terminal market the one butcher (Giunta's Prime) there would order them in. I asked them specifically and they said they would order them in and I wouldn't need to get a whole case.

There is a butcher in Plymouth Meeting, PA (Carl Venezia Meats) that another person on the forum gets his from that will order them in for you and carries them periodically. I've visited and bought other stuff there but they didn't have TT's in stock when I visited. They have them occasionally as available just need to call first, etc.

A good butcher/meat cutter should under stand the IMPS/NAMP 185C 185D referenced below:

NAMP 185 (Tri Tip)

Or print this cutting description and take it with you:

185C - Tri Tip

I called my local Trader Joes and they did have them. Although I specifically had to ask for the plain. He said they sell more marinated then plain.

I will be heading there tomorrow to pick up a couple and feast out Friday Night!

Cool. I wouldn't say the ones that are pre-marinated are "bad" per se - just that you can't do what you want with them as you can with the plain.

I got over to TJ's last night to scope out the tri tips.
I was disappointed when I saw the packaging. They had pcs of tri top vacuum packed. They didn't even weigh a lb. I'm used to Costco's where I would get the whole roast anywhere from 2 to 3 lbs. So I took a pass. And so my quest continues for Tri Tip roast!

Yeah that's a bit of the rub with TJ's and Tri Tips they are heavy trim and small. Now undersantd that you don't find TT's much over 3 to 3.5 lb at the heaviest and that is based on trim.

Typical even an TJ's is right around 2 lb to 2.5 lb. Heavier will usually mean the club is left on and a nice fat cap.

Treuth's is usually 2.5 lb or larger, well marbled and a god 1/8 to 1/4 cap. Love them.

I have stopped in Trueths within the past 6 months and they told me that they do not carry tri tips anymore b/c at times they would have have to grind the meat when the orders were not picked up?!?! I was disappointed to say the least. I will have to check again. Also have called some local farms but at $10+ per pound, I can't justify that price.

Hey Joe - thanks for that info. Shucks another source bites the dust. Still an opportunity for a group buy though.

As long as they can move what they bring in they would order for us. Just a thought.

Agreed - $10lb is getting up there. Depends on the quality, graze, breed etc. If it was a local near me that was doing prime angus or wagyu I might pick up a couple. As I could tell them to prep it the way I want and the quality would be through the roof by comparison.

Lots of small operators have excellent product you just can't get anywhere. Remember there are only 2 of these 2.5 to 3.5 lb roast from each head of cattle. And most of the time it just gets ground up unless you are in California :)

Don't know if it's regional, but the Wegmans by me always has angus tri's in stock. If I scour the shelf I can find one that's up around 2 lbs.

It's definitely pricey - last time I got one I think it was close to $10 a lb., but I don't have to make a bunch of calls or drive all over the place to find one.

Hey Scott - yes, I have seen them at Wegmans around me. I would say the ones at TJ's I like better (plain) as they tend to be heavier.

Other than that all good.

Thing is if you can get one with light trim and some fat cap as well as the club intact and good marbeling I would pay $10 lb. But not just because I "found one"
icon_smile.gif

Here in Central Wis Tri Tip is also scarce. But yesterday scored a case (10 tri tips each individually cryovaced). $145 for the case. Ask your local butcher if they can get their supplier to deliver a case.

Dan

Originally posted by r benash:
Hey Scott - yes, I have seen them at Wegmans around me. I would say the ones at TJ's I like better (plain) as they tend to be heavier.

Other than that all good.

Thing is if you can get one with light trim and some fat cap as well as the club intact and good marbeling I would pay $10 lb. But not just because I "found one"
icon_smile.gif

I'ma look at TJ's next time we're in there. I usually only see them there pre-sliced almost like thin pork chops.

Whoa - Scott

TJ's in Ardmore and Devon have them all the time. If you want me to pick some up for you and keep in the fridge let me know.

Your TJ's must get different TT's then ours.
The TT at my local TJ's were large chunks and did not resemble a tri tip at all.

I'll have to keep checking, maybe I'll get lucky.

Yeah sounds like it. The ones I've seen in Devon, PA Ardmore, PA and Reston, VA were the same. Whole tri tip in a vac seal. Running around 2 to 2.5 lb. Some in marinate and then plain (in red label bag I think).

You must be looking and something that is cubed.

I can have a look at he SKU maybe tomorrow.

Back