Tri-Tip steak or roast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
In the midwest the Tri-tip is does not seem to be a very popular cut. In fact In Milwaukee I have been having a very hard time finding it. Actually the closest I have come to seeing Tri Tip roast was a picture at

www.gourmetsleuth.com/images/tritipcut.jpg

Today I found Tri-Tip Steaks at my local Jewel. It looks very heavily innervated with large streaks of intra-musclar fat. It almost looks more like Chuck rather than what I am used to seeing in Sirloin though most of my experience is top sirloin and Tri-tip comes from bottom sirloin. This steak looks like it could be well trimmed Flat Iron steaks with the connective tissue removed. Unfortunately the butcher was gone for the day so I couldnt grill him on the subject (sorry for the pun I couldnt resist).

From those of you who find tri-tip more readily in your parts of the country and have some experience with it can you tell me if what I am describing sounds like tri-tip??

Tommorow I will be looking into the availability of this as a roast and hopefully later in the week trying my first Tri-tip on the WSM Thanks!!

Tom,

Tri-tip does have a fair amount of intra-muscular fat. Steaks cut from tri-tip should look like those shown on this page.

In the second photo, that's a whole tri-tip in the upper right corner, kabob meat in the lower left corner, and steaks everywhere else.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris,
those are better poictures that off the meat charts. I called this morning and they said they have the roasts so I think the easiest thing to do is pick up a roast and that will be the dead giveaway as to its authenticity. Theya re switching to their summer stok and carry tri-tips seasonallly so I will have access to them for the summer.

Thanks

What I find down here looks like picture 185D, and they're always only about 2 lbs. I like my steaks a little bigger. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Still, as a roast, pretty tasty, and a relatively short cook. Usually cheap enough to do 2 or 3 at once.

Thanks Chris, Doug It was definately Tri-tip I'll be cooking it tommorow !!! For steak I have always liked CAB top sirloin so i'll really be interested to see how this lavorful piece of beef comes out on the WSM!!

I even rubbed my last one with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning. Came out pretty tasty.

I have never been a fan of the preblended sesonings but you are right on on that Montreal Stek Seasoning!!! Thats some good stuff on beef!!

I used the kettle to do the tri-tip instead of the WSM and feel I made a good choice hit it with some oak and seared it then moved it to the cooler side of the grill and let it roast to 125 and sit for 15 minutes tented in foil. A perfect rare in the middle and medium to medium rare on the ends (Thanks Rob for the recipie).

I dont really see what the WSM would do for this piece of meat. I can get all the smoke I would want on it (I actually think I hit it a bit too hard with the smoke in the 20-30 minutes it was on). I'm not benefiting from low and slow. What do those of you hat regularly cook tri-tips in the WSM think its advantages are for this cut? Hey the goood news as chris said in his tri-tip recipie I dont have to choose I can do it both ways!!!

I like the cut, the texture of brisket and the flavor of Sirloin.

cheers

Tom,

I believe the above answers have covered it.
I just wanted to chime in on availability in the midwest.
When I went home to Omaha to visit my mom, I had the hardest time finding a whole roast at the gorcery store. Same experience you had -- all steaks, no whole tri-tips. I went to a good butcher shop and they had them.
You can buy big bulk packages of them out here in CA at Costco. They come in cryovac and there's mabye 6 or so in there. Try a warehouse store out your way.

Thanks HJP I found that Jewel in the midwest stocks them for summer and have had a few. I can also get them prime here as well at a high end grocery store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back