Tri Tip & Sprouts

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I had planned to cook up a tri tip while we were camping this weekend, but ended up opting for some simpler meals. So, first night back home....had to cook that bad boy up. This was a prime TT from CostCo that I had in the freezer for a bit, and while it thawed out, I had it bathing in a marinade of EVOO, balsamic, garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.) I also grabbed some brussels sprouts from the store to side it up. I set up the 26" for a 2-zone fire, got my sprouts washed, trimmed and split in half, then seasoned with EVOO, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Tri tip went on, after a bit the sprouts went into the CI skillet (that had been heating on the grill), and I rotated/flipped every 10 minutes. Sprouts were done early, so I pulled and covered them. Eventually, the TT hit 122-125F, so I seared over coals for 2 minutes per side. Crisped up/reheated the brussels under the broiler will the TT rested for a few, then we ate. Everything turned out great. The sprouts were a bit overdone/mushy, but crisping them up helped that a bit. The TT was like butter! Cow flavored butter.... :)

Sprouts seasoned:

IMG_6932.jpeg

Everybody is in the sauna:

IMG_6933.jpeg

Natural light for the TT cover shot:

IMG_6934.jpeg

Pile o' meat:

IMG_6935.jpeg

My plate:

IMG_6936.jpeg

For Bruno, what my skillet looked like after a gentle wipe with warm water and soft sponge:

IMG_6937.jpeg

Thanks for stopping by to check things out. Hope everyone is having a great week (I know I am, I'm on vacation!) :)

R

Wow, everything looks awesome Rich! I’m sure you probably wouldn’t know it from our recent posts, but we’re huge fans of Brussels as well :D tri tip looks perfectly done!

Very nice, I’m going to go for some Brussels and grilled chicken Breasts on Saturday!
Thanks!!

Great looking meal. We love Brussels but they have looks horrible here for months. So we haven’t bought any. Our produce has been so hit and miss.

Wow, looks fantastic Rich. Marinade sounds wonderful too. I just love that Lodge pan. I probably use mine on at least half my cooks. My wife got me the 17" pan at Christmas, specifically for the 26er. Haven't used it yet. If we ever get to have guests again I'll have to fix that.

Wow, looks fantastic Rich. Marinade sounds wonderful too. I just love that Lodge pan. I probably use mine on at least half my cooks. My wife got me the 17" pan at Christmas, specifically for the 26er. Haven't used it yet. If we ever get to have guests again I'll have to fix that.
I've got that same size one (12") with the handle, too. The one in the pic was my dad's. 17" pan sounds like it needs paella!! :)

R

I have got to get my hands on a tritip, that is the top beef cut on my list to get.
Rich as always spot on, the color is amazing. Getting into weeds here, by that I mean the veggies, I have always cut the bottoms off my sprouts because the bottoms are too tough. You keep a lot more of the bottoms then I do, is the a trick to getting them tender? Am I wasting sprout goodness?

I have got to get my hands on a tritip, that is the top beef cut on my list to get.
Rich as always spot on, the color is amazing. Getting into weeds here, by that I mean the veggies, I have always cut the bottoms off my sprouts because the bottoms are too tough. You keep a lot more of the bottoms then I do, is the a trick to getting them tender? Am I wasting sprout goodness?
I usually err on the side of more sprout, but that does sometimes mean I have a less than tender end on the plate. If that happens, I just don’t eat it. I find that I’d rather do that than lose more leaves by trimming more of the end. No right or wrong, just preference.

R

I usually err on the side of more sprout, but that does sometimes mean I have a less than tender end on the plate. If that happens, I just don’t eat it. I find that I’d rather do that than lose more leaves by trimming more of the end. No right or wrong, just preference.

R
So my youngest daughter has two guinea pigs and she picks through my sprout cuttings and grabs all those loose leaves for them so I guess there is a reason to my method also.

My wife trims the heck out of brussel sprouts when we make them. Here's a recipe we've been enjoying in the warmer months. I love pan roasted brussel sprouts but this recipe is for a shaved brussel sprout salad and is really tasty. I think it pairs best with herbed pork or chicken but serving with beef, lamb or fish would probably work too.

My wife trims the heck out of brussel sprouts when we make them. Here's a recipe we've been enjoying in the warmer months. I love pan roasted brussel sprouts but this recipe is for a shaved brussel sprout salad and is really tasty. I think it pairs best with herbed pork or chicken but serving with beef, lamb or fish would probably work too.

That looks good. I want to try that, what do you usually pair this with?

I like to pair that brussel sprout salad with pork or poultry. Since the sprout salad has a lot of lemon flavor, I don't think it pairs well with traditional bbq flavors. I think a lightly smoked/herbed whole chicken is a good pairing, or pork loin roast or chops.

I like to pair that brussel sprout salad with pork or poultry. Since the sprout salad has a lot of lemon flavor, I don't think it pairs well with traditional bbq flavors. I think a lightly smoked/herbed whole chicken is a good pairing, or pork loin roast or chops.
OK I got a whole chicken I want to try it with!

Remember when you were a kid, that feeling of anticipation a couple of days before Christmas or Halloween? That's what I feel when I'm cooking tri tip. Excellent looking tri tip, Rich!

Remember when you were a kid, that feeling of anticipation a couple of days before Christmas or Halloween? That's what I feel when I'm cooking tri tip. Excellent looking tri tip, Rich!
The first time I did a pork shoulder on the WSM I felt that way. I will probably feel that way when I get my hands on a tri tip

Back