Tri-tip question

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I have not made a tri-tip before. I'm wondering what type of size / cut I should look for.

I was in Trader Joe's yesterday and they had tri-tips for $5.99 / pound. They were advertised as being "fully-trimmed," which usually is bad in my book. But, is that what you want in a tri-tip? They were around 2 pounds each. Again, is that normal or are those small?

I didn't get any since I wasn't sure if they were the right cuts for q-ing.

That's about the right size. No low and slow with these. Cook them like a steak over direct heat and then indirect to finish.

Finish temps in the 130s for medium rare.

John

Ok, that sounds good. After posting, I checked my Weber grilling cook book and they had a recipe with chimichurri sauce that looked great. I realized then that these were meant to be grilled.

Is $5.99 / pound a reasonable price? I have not seen tri-tips at the other grocery stores I shop at.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
Ok, that sounds good. After posting, I checked my Weber grilling cook book and they had a recipe with chimichurri sauce that looked great. I realized then that these were meant to be grilled.

Is $5.99 / pound a reasonable price? I have not seen tri-tips at the other grocery stores I shop at. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a terrific recipe. I love chimichurri sauce on Tri's (and filets)

Alternatively, you can cook indirect till shy of your target internal and the do a finishing sear. I also like chimichurri with tri.

$5.99 is reasonable in the Mid-west and East. Though the package might say 'fully trimmed' it doesn't mean hacked to death, fortunately. But they don't need further trimming.

Pat,

$5.99 is about going rate on tri-tip, but if you watch you can get it for less. I just bought 2 of them for $2.99/lb, that is what we can typically get them for on sale...but $5.99 is about going rate...

You can cook them with no fat, but it's not a good way to grill them, IMO.

Here's how I do it, stab that tri-tip good with a big fork on both sides to puncture holes through both sides, through fat if you have it, if you don't no big deal, they'll still cook up...marinade in a zip-loc overnight with Bernstein's Original Italian dressing. You can do this quicker, but overnight is preferred.

I have not used the WSM, only the kettle. I split the kettle in half, keeping the coals on one side of the kettle. The first part is done on direct heat, to sear the meat. When you place the fat side on the grill, the flames will flare up...with a large 'que fork, flip the meat to the no-fat side to sear it in...as you do this you must continue basting with the Bernsteins. The oil protects the meat from burning, so critical on the side without fat. This stage usually takes me about 15 minutes. Don't do it too much, because of the bark gets too thick on the outside, it will have a tough texture on the outside of the meat, so you don't want to overdue it in this stage, primarily to char it and sear in the meat.

After it is seared in, set it on the other side of the grill. You're gonna cook it on indirect for the remainder, but the first thing you want to do is close the top/bottom vents most of the way, just leave them barely cracked...You want to bring the heat down inside the kettle...after about 10-15 minutes you can crack the vent just a bit more, but you should be able to sustain the heat to cook it, which takes about 45 minutes. I can't give you an exact time, sometimes it takes longer, you have to use the fork to poke the meat, and you need to learn what it feels like when it is cooked to the desired setting, I don't use no stinkin' thermometers, just do it by feel. You want the meat to feel just as it starts to get firm, when you first put it on indirect, poke it a little, not hard stabs but just pushing on the outside of the meat...you'll get the feel for it.

After it's done, set it out on the counter and let it cool for about 45 - 60 minutes...then slice across the grain starting at the tip.

I like it pink inside with no red. The red will be very rare, and have a tendency to be more on the uncooked side, so shooting for pink is preferable...you'll understand what I mean if you try this style.

Here's a pic that my wife served with Japanese radish on top, but it really doesn't need anything on top...

This is the only pic I have of a tri-tip, unfortunately, but there's a LOT of blood when you cut it, since it was seared in...make sure to put paper towels around the cutting board so it doesn't make a mess on the counter...DAMHIKT...

entree-008.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$5.99 is about going rate on tri-tip, but if you watch you can get it for less. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not off the west coast you won't. A small point, but meat does not contain blood nor does searing 'seal in' juices in any way. It caramelizes the exterior and develops those flavors--that's it. That why searing at finish works so well. Since the meat has roasted already it only takes a minute or two per side. The juices in meat, mostly water, contain myoglobin, which gives the red color.

Anyway, nice presentation! I live the daikon addition.

On the west coast.... $2.99 is select untrimmed and on sale. $5.99 will be at least choice trimmed and maybe prime.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
but meat does not contain blood nor does searing 'seal in' juices in any way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know the technical details I guess, but there's red juice that gets all over the counter, and it seems to come from the meat or from between the meat, it doesn't really matter as it taste good to me!
icon_smile.gif

As for pricing, I don't know, I live out west. I don't get a chance to shop around throughout the entire country, and not sure how it is around Round Lake, IL, but take your word for it that they don't run tri-tip on sale out there. Costco runs it on sale out west, so I figure they might run it on sale around the other parts of the country as well. It's worth $5.99/lb., IMO, and I pay that when I don't get it on sale.

In many places in the country other than the west, tri-tip is unavailable. Some Costcos carry it and all Trader Joe's do, but if you don't live near one you can hava a hard time finding it.

For many years, since I travel, I have been buying it at TJ's on my journeys and bringing it home. (No TJ's in Fla and Costco is 100 mi roundtrip--don't know if they carry it anyway.) Finally, Publix started carrying it (they overtrim it, imo) so at least there is a source locally. I still often but it at TJ's because I like theirs better.

It's a favorite no matter what I pay, usually $5.29-5.99. I'll be stealing your daikon idea!

They also carry them at Sam's, but you have to buy a whole cryovac bag of them. Maybe 5 or 6 per vacuum bag? They do not put them out at Sam's though, they have them all in the back, as they cut them to a different cut at Sam's....

Not that it needs it but I second the reverse sear. I've done hundreds of tris over the years searing first then finishing in-direct; a couple guys on here suggested I do the reverse sear (of course I laughed having thought my whole life I needed to sear juices in) so I tried it and I've never looked back. All my tris are now reverse sear and they've never been "juicier" but don't take my word for it here are some PICTURES of my first two reverse sear attempts.

I'm either a Pappy's or SuziQ's guy on my tris.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
It's a favorite no matter what I pay, usually $5.29-5.99. I'll be stealing your daikon idea! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have always loved it also Kevin, but in some ways it is what drove me to the WSM, it's the soft, moist, falling apart brisket that I was seeking to cook, odd as it may seem. Tri-tip is just not that type of cut, although it can be tender, it's firmer than some meats that have been slow cooked...but it is this variety that make the 'que some attractive to me...I just love meat, whether from a cow, pig, chicken, lamb, fish, or any type of meat...never have liked veggies too much, although was a vegan in college for a few years, I came back to meat with a vengeance!
icon_smile.gif
Taught myself how much I love meat, and I did it the honest way...by not eating it!
icon_wink.gif

I have some other interesting ideas, since my wife is Japanese, we often tend to do things with a Japanese twist to it, not for any particular reason, but that is just how my wife cooks.

This dish works.

Larry, your pic of "1st - Perfect" is exactly how it should look. My pic is not as pink, but most is covered up with the daikon and layered meat. That is a good pic to strive to...

I was taught how to do the tri-tip by a friend who grew up in Santa Barbara, an hour's drive from where I grew up...most of them serve it with pinquito beans. They're very similar to pintos, but slightly different. Pinto beans can be substituted...but I've never been a big fan of beans, even on the 'que...others do seem to love them.

I'm tempted to fire the 'que up tonight, I'm getting hungry thinking about this stuff...this site is dangerous, I'll be 'quein during the week now, not that the weekend hasn't been enough...*lol*

Yea the "1st - Perfect II" picture is really perfect for my taste. I'm totally sold on the reverse sear and highly recommend it and this from a guy who highly doubted it.

All this tri-talk has me thinking I'm going to do one this weekend too. My meat market has Wagyu tris on sale again for $5.99 a lb. We're having Ed C. and his wife over to break in my Kamado that's being delivered on Sat. Sounds like a Wagyu tri would be a great way to start off that relationship
icon_wink.gif

EDIT: Looks like I need to start dressing-up my plates a bit more
icon_wink.gif

Larry,

PW still had tri-tip on sale this past weekend for $2.99/lb...wouldn't hurt to stop by your local PW and see if they have some left!

Pat, They can range inbetween 1.5lbs. to almost 3 lbs. Most of the ones I see are around 2 - 2.5lbs. I cook mine direct the entire time on the lower grate of the WSM, over lump and a piece or two of Oak, with no water pan in. Well everything I grill these days is cooked on the lower grate no water pan. Haven't used any of my grills in years, just don't see the need. Anyway here's one done to med-med well. They come out great using this method. Good luck with your first Tri cook.
icon_cool.gif

Tri-Tip004.jpg

I get my tri-tip at CostCo in Chicago. I get them in cryovac packs and think they run $4.19/lb or so for a 12-20 pound pack. I vac seal them them up in pairs and freeze them.

I sear over direct for 4 minutes a side and then move to indirect for 20 or so minutes. I like them to be mid-rare.

Last time I made them I made some extras. Put them in the fridge and used my deli slicer to shave them real thin for sandwiches. Holy crap if they weren't the best sandwiches I have ever had. Tri-tip is amazingly tasty cold, make sure to make plenty!

Jamie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
My meat market has Wagyu tris on sale again for $5.99 a lb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry,

Where do you get that at? I was reading another article that said it's from Kobe, but the Kobe beef that is traditionally known is marbled meat that is cooked like teppan-yaki style.

I am curious and willing to try this Wagyu, where do you get it at around this bay area?

Hey Alan, I get them at a local meat market here in Fresno called, "The Meat Market." It's in north central Fresno. They label it Kobe Beef but as others have pointed out to me it's really Wagyu or some call it American Kobe beef. Either way, for $5.99 a lb. it's killer! Paul K. from San Diego was passing through on his way to Sac. and picked a few up for an anniversary bbq he was putting on, liked them so much on the way back to San Diego he came back through and I think he bought more. So if you're ever passing through I'd bring a cooler and pick-up a couple. These freeze quite nicely due to the high fat content.

EDIT: Just got back from the Meat Market and they really had some beauties, picked up a 3.8 lb one for dinner tomorrow with the Ed. C. and his wife.

Back