Tri-Tip Price Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Fischer

TVWBB Member
I've been reading the tri-tip posts and decided to buy one. The regionality of cuts of meat is interesting to me. Sam's Club doesn't carry them (at least in this area), and at least one of the three major grocers in the St.Louis, MO area had not heard of tri-tips but checked on getting them for me. There were going to be able to get an 85 lb case and requested that if I ask them to get them that I purchase more than just one roast. I decided to approach a local custom butcher shop in Florissant, MO and found that they were familiar with them enough to know that they are very popular in the Western US. He agreed that they are a nice cut. I bought two of them and they were about 2.5 lbs each. I paid $6.49/lb. Was wondering what folks out west are paying. I saw an earlier post that stated the price was around $3.49/lb..

Tom.....

Our Sam's carries them and I just paid $4.36/lb. Case price was only $3.79/lb. but the case is 60-70lbs. That includes about 25-30 of the 2 lb. cuts.

I use it in my chili...cut into 1/4" cubes. This is the meat of choice for chiliheads.

I will be buying more of these to smoke.

Thanks Stogie. I'll have to try using the tri-tip in chili too. I've just used ground beef until now, but using tri-tip sounds good. Thanks again.

Leftover brisket works wonders in chili, too. Made a batch a couple weeks ago that called for tri-tip, but I had the brisket on hand. YUM!

R

Kevin,

You are absolutely correct. Tri-Tip is the cut to use to make competition chili.

When I make a batch of good old Texas Red, I freeze my tri-tips for 60 minutes and then proceed to making it into little 1/4" to 3/8" cubes.

TOM,

Tri Tip out here will cost around $6-$7 per lb for a perfectly trimmed PRIME Tri Tip. Between $3.50 - $5 for a well trimmed CHOICE Tri Tip and under $3 for a poorly trimmed or even UN-trimmed SELECT Tri-Tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back