Tri Tip Marinade?

I would marinade it like flank steak for carne asada, maybe.

Something like:

Juice of 1 lemon, 1 lime, 1 orange
Cumin seed and coriander toasted
Chili powder (I use a homemade one with mex oregano, ancho, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, coriander)
thin sliced red onion
Thin sliced jalapeno or serrano
garlic
cilantro
Black pepper

With flank steak I marinate this for 24 hours and if I am feeling like being adventurous I will cook it well done and slice very thin against the grain in traditional mexican fashion. Usually, though, I cook it to med rare which would probably be best for a tri tip which will get tougher at high temps.

Beleive it or not, we marinate ours in Italian Dressing.. Works pretty good and no extra prep time..

I usually toss in a ziplock with this

beef_marinade.png

This one works well:

1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/3 Cup Barbeque Sauce
2 Tablespoons Prepared Mustard
1/3 Cup Red Wine
4-6 Garlic Cloves, Pressed

Mix together and marinade tri-tip at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

I usually don't marinade my tri tip, but last time I tried the Stubs that Derek posted since I saw so many positive posts here about it.

If I do I'll do a salt rub for 20 minutes then rinse, pat dry just mix up some EVOO, crushed garlic, chopped parsley or cilantro, fresh ground black pepper (or mix of black/green), some cabernet or other red wine and dry mustard.

If you don't do the salt rub add salt to the marinade.

Zip lock or covered dish for at least an hour, usually several, flip halfway through.

It was very good. Generally like to make my own marinades but this was a good one. I'll probably keep a bottle on the shelf now.

one of our favorites is:

soy sauce -2 parts
sesame oil - 1 part
brown sugar
garlic, chopped onions
bay leaf, pepper

has a nice flavor. you can adjust sweetness by adjusting amount of sugar.

Chris I just grilled a tri tip tonight and used A1 Marinade New York Steakhouse, and it was fantastic. The meat was very tender.I marinaded it for about 6 hours. Sorry no pics, but it was very good.

Originally posted by Ken Keating:
This one works well:

1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/3 Cup Barbeque Sauce
2 Tablespoons Prepared Mustard
1/3 Cup Red Wine
4-6 Garlic Cloves, Pressed

Mix together and marinade tri-tip at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

We had all these ingredients, so I tried this. Bagged it with a frozen tri tip that thawed overnight in the marinade.

It was VERY good. SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) was happy.

I usually keep tri tips pretty simple: 50/50 ratio of italian dressing and commercial BBQ sauce, with cayennne powder and chili flakes to taste in a ziplock overnight. Sure I've done dry rubs, injections, etc., But I keep going back to lazy and simple. For I am basically, lazy and simple.

Almost forgot: Slice the TT about 1/16"-1/8" thick (against the grain), boil the leftover marinade in a small saucepan and then drizzle it over the TT after you slice it and lay it out on a platter.

Back