Tri-Tip in December - Cattleman's Rub

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
We've had a couple of nice days here in St. Louis in the 60's so I thought I'd through a Tri-Tip on the PK360 and let er' rip. I went out to STL BBQ and did a little Christmas Shopping first, 3 big jars of rub and a ThermoPopfor my brother, and one small one for me to put on the Tri-Tip. I used the Cattleman's to dry brine for a few hours before putting in on the grill;

CATTLEMAN TRI TIP RUB.jpg
I pulled the Tri-Tip out of the fridge about 30 minutes before I put in on the grill. And just left all the seasoning on the steak. I used some local hardwood lump in the PK and got it real hot.

on the grill.jpg

After I charred the heck out of it, I put it on the indirect side and put a piece of pecan on the hot coals. Here's the Smoke X reading the steak temp and grill temp for me. After all that charing, the thickest part of the steak was still only 52F. I set the alarm to go off at 127F and went inside to pour another drink and wait for the alarm.:wsm:

THERMOWORKS.jpg

After about 40 minutes, the meat was at 127. I took if off and let it rest for about 7 or 8 minutes. In this pic you can see the newer probe from Thermoworks. I really like that shorter, straight probe. It seems easier to get into the right spot vs. that long 90 degree one that comes with the Smoke X.

READY TO SLICE.jpg

Here it is after I cut a few slices off.

SLICED.jpg

This was truly one of the best Tri-Tips I've made in a while. The char on it looked a little severe, but once it was sliced, it was a nice compliment to the juicy interior. I didn't take any photos of the raw meat, but it was really well marbled, and the direct then indirect method I used, along with the Cattleman's rub was a winner. This was a 2lb tri-tip and I have about a pound left over in the fridge. I'm thinking about making a stroganoff with it tomorrow, or maybe some nice easy tacos with guac and bean/corn salad. What would you do with the left overs?

Looks wonderful. Though I have ben giving up on "rubs" for my beef. Falling back on simple salt and pepper along with a nice dose of smoke from either mesquite or cherry. But nothing heavy there. Just a hint.

Terrific cook, John!
Where, if I may ask, was the tri tip from?
I really need to check out the new location of the StL BBQ store, and I also need to get a shorter probe for my SMOKE. With the long one I never know where it's best to put the tip, dead center or ??

Last edited:
I have used left overs cut thick, added to a toasted bun with horseradish....
Plain and simple but keep the beef cold, this is tasty for myself.

Great looking TT John, now that the fire restrictions are lifted I can use my charcoal Performer and drag a TT out of the freezer. I've had a few Walmart TTs and they have all be very good.
I also like the idea of the stroganoff.

John -- did you get much smoke flavor when doing the sear up front?

Searing up front works sooo much better for me. Not only do I miss the done-ness more often with sear/rear, but sear up front gives me more char/crust.

But when trying to get some smoke on a big piece of meat (like a TT), I've assumed that I'd need to smoke/low first then follow with sear/rear.

Terrific cook, John!
Where, if I may ask, was the tri tip from?
I really need to check out the new location of the StL BBQ store, and I also need to get a shorter probe for my SMOKE. With the long one I never know where it's best to put the tip, dead center or ??
Hey Bob - I got my tri tip from Straubs in Webster Groves. I happen to live less than a mile from there. I think it was $14/lb. They usually have a dozen or so of them cryovaced and in the meat case. STL BBQ store's new location on Watson Rd just east of LaClede Station Rd is fantastic, way way better than the basement set up they had in Afton. They might have the shorter Thermoworks probes on the shelf there. You could always call them to see if they have it. I've never seen tri tip at Schnucks, Dierbergs or Sam's.

John -- did you get much smoke flavor when doing the sear up front?

Searing up front works sooo much better for me. Not only do I miss the done-ness more often with sear/rear, but sear up front gives me more char/crust.

But when trying to get some smoke on a big piece of meat (like a TT), I've assumed that I'd need to smoke/low first then follow with sear/rear.
Hey Jim - Yes, I feel like I still got a good little pop of smoke flavor with the sear up front. I have tried both methods and my results are a lot more consistent when I sear first, and to me, getting the temperature correct and a good char/crust are the two most important things on a steak. I'd gladly take a little less smoke to make sure I nail the crust and temperature.

I've never seen tri tip at Schnucks, Dierbergs or Sam's.
Schnucks in Arnold used to cut them for me and sell them for the same price as sirloin steaks when they were on sale. That ended for some reason. I think they started using them for kabobs.

Karsch market in Barnhart usually has packer Choice grade tri tips, fat cap included. I think they run $7.99/lb when not on sale. Same price at Costco last time I checked. The ones at Costco are trimmed up.

Same here. I don't see them at Shmuks anymore (but than I rarely shop there), have never seen them at Sam's but saw a whole case full at Costco a few days ago.

Larry was "Shmuks" intentional or a play on words? Either way it's funny :ROFLMAO: Here in St. Louis, we pronounce "Schnucks" so it rymes with "looks". I had a college prof that said it so it rhymed with Schmucks and ducks and it drove the true St. Louis natives up the wall, but i thought it was funny. I still say it that way sometimes just to get on my wife's nerves.

Schnucks in Arnold used to cut them for me and sell them for the same price as sirloin steaks when they were on sale. That ended for some reason. I think they started using them for kabobs.

Karsch market in Barnhart usually has packer Choice grade tri tips, fat cap included. I think they run $7.99/lb when not on sale. Same price at Costco last time I checked. The ones at Costco are trimmed up.
Karsch's looks like a nice store to visit. I hit their website and they have whole briskets for 3.99/lb right now.

Larry was "Shmuks" intentional or a play on words? Either way it's funny :ROFLMAO: Here in St. Louis, we pronounce "Schnucks" so it rymes with "looks". I had a college prof that said it so it rhymed with Schmucks and ducks and it drove the true St. Louis natives up the wall, but i thought it was funny. I still say it that way sometimes just to get on my wife's nerves.
It's intentional. They have crazy high prices trying to market themselves as some sort of "Whole Foods". They play all kind of tricks i.e. using specially tinted lights in the produce section to make colors jump out more on fruits and veg. I truly don't like them. Sadly they have a pretty large monopoly here

Back