Tri-Tip Blues

Sean,

I am a big ti-tip fan and consumer. I do mine on my Weber Kettle. I set up a fire that will allow me to have a direct and indirect area. I cook five minutes each side direct (searing) and ten minutes each side indirect. Always works!! A good rub is Susie Q's Santa Maria style rub and a few oak chipe don't hurt the flavor either. It is a great piece of meat....don't give up on it.

Paul
Hickory Flats BBQ
Versailles, IN

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean Ruff:
So I tried my first tri-tip last night. I cooked it on the WSM at 350 until internal temperature was 125 and then seared for five minutes turning frequently. Resulting temperature was a perfect 135 with a great exterior. However, it was TOUGH. I was really disapointed and am wondering if smoking the tri-tip low and slow would help. Any other suggestions for the other tri-tip sitting in my refrigerator? I paid an embarrassing amount of money for these two tri-tips and want to get the second one right.

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TriTip is tough. You should marinate it. I have cooked it low, medium, and hot. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. You cooked it rare, which is good. Some of mine come out tougher than others and maybe it's just individual differences. I use a Jaccard meat tenderizer on mine; maybe it heps, maybe not.

Back