Trend thermometers????

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just bought a Trend thermometer, this one ...

Trend 3" themometer

It arrived today and I tested it in boiling water. It read 200*. Is this an acceptable level of error for these thermometers???

My Polders read 212* in boiling water. I paid $30 for this Trend and I'm ready to send it back. I don't have a lot of confidence in this thing.

And this is my second Trend. I bought this same thermometer in January of 2002 for use on my Kettle. I moved it to my WSM a few months ago. It reads fine till I get about 3 hours into a cook and then it drops 50* and never recovers.

Are these things lemons? Or is this to be expected? I'm wishing I'd never drilled that hole in my WSM.

Those TelTru list a spec of 1/2" NPT. I'm guessing thats the size of the hole to be drilled.

The Trends are 3/4" ( I believe ) or maybe 7/8.

I'm tired of buying probes for my Polders, but if I have to buy a new 3" thermo occasionally, I'm just as well off buying probes.

Or maybe I should try the Maverick????

Lynn, I've got a Maverick ET-73 and haven't had any problems with it. I'm careful with the probes when I clean them and don't let the wires get wet. If you get one I think you'll be happy with it.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynn Dollar:
[qb] Those TelTru list a spec of 1/2" NPT. I'm guessing thats the size of the hole to be drilled.

The Trends are 3/4" ( I believe ) or maybe 7/8.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've got a couple of Trends that are a few years old, and they are 1/2" NPT, same as the TelTru. 1/2" NPT has nothing to do with the size hole you need to drill. You need a hole about 7/8" to pass the threads entirely through the lid, smaller if you intend to screw the thermometer into the metal of the lid.

See Mounting A Thermometer for details and photos.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris, the current hole in my lid is 7/8", so I'm gonna order a Tel Tru.

Do you have any recommendations on stem length?

I'm trying to decide between 2.5 and 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back