Tree species for oak & hickory smoke wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Cluck

TVWBB Fan
Is there a standard species for oak and hickory that are most commonly used as smoke wood? I might have access to a lot of Texas Red oak (Shumard) and live oak chopped and free no less. Here in Texas we've got a huge variety available to choose from. There's almost 2 dozen oak varieties native here and 8 different hickory species. I can't imagine that oak is oak or the same for hickory.

~Dave

I've wondered that about maple. Not that I use it much, it just seems too mild for me, but I have access to a lot - I think it's "Big Leaf" maple.

I have heard people talk about the red (don't know specifically about "Texas" red) and "Live" oak say that both are fine for smoking/BBQing. I use red once in a while (Tri-tips) and it's been great.

I was wondering a similar question. I can get some red oak (I think my friend called it a pin oak). Any comments about the use of red oak would be appreciated.

Jerry, Oak is very, very strong. Red Oak is different than Pin Oak. You can tell Red Oak by the bark. It's very thick and has big gaps in it. Pin Oak has alot finer/smooth bark as does white oak. Most of the oak trees in peoples yards are Pin Oak. Of course Red Oak is red inside. Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Jerry, Oak is very, very strong. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But is all oak equally as strong and do they each (or some of them) have different flavor profiles? When you buy oak smoke wood what exactly are you buying? Does it wary by brand or is there a commonly used oak which is more or less the standard. I'm not finding much info on this question.

~Dave

I like to try things so, find out what you have , try it , and then you will know . I think white oak is mild "to my taste" I have used red oak alot and love it. I also like to blend woods, "oak, apple,pecan and hickory". I think you will like this site, it has helped me to find out just what it was I had.

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/mgt/trees/index.shtml
Let us know .

Rick

Thanks, Rick. I was fairly certain that there had to be differences. The reason I bring up the question in the first place is to a) Find out what people who have experimented already have to share so that I don't have to spend as much time doing so
icon_smile.gif
and b) to find out what normally passes for oak and hickory smoke woods. Just curious really. Smoking is new to me but I know my trees (at least in north and east Texas). Over the next year or so I plan on trying out and cataloging various varieties. Surely there has to be some magical combinations out there that stand out from the norm.

~Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back