Travelling with BRITU

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
On Friday I will be making BRITU for the first time...my third smoke with the WSM. There's kind of a problem though. Dinner is at 6, at a friends house. My friend lives about 45 minutes away from me. What should I do: Cook the ribs here at my house, sauce them and wrap them in foil then throw them in a cooler? Or, should I make sure that the ribs are done right at the serving time (which would entail me lugging the WSM to his house 6-7 hours early to cook them).

Are the ribs going to get mushy, or be of any less quality, if they are foiled for 1 (or 2) hours?

I've over foiled ribs before and it wasn't pretty. I tell people that dinner time is when its done but that may not work for your situation.

I'd be inclined to cook at his place unless you've timed it all out. It could work if you cooked at your place then foiled for part of your foiling time and pack then travel to his place with prewarmed coolers and finish them with sauce on his grill (a great use for a gasser if I do say so).

Since foiling is not part of the actual cooking process with that recipe, I would think you'd be fine to take them through the second phase and foil them for transport. Don't apply any heat to them once they're in foil and do the reheating and saucing at your friend's as Tom suggests. I would try to minimize the hold time as well.

Phil, if your host has a gasser, you can wow them with the best ribs they've ever had.

Not sure if the BRITU uses foil, but for competition and home I prefer:

- a mustard slather, then a sprinkling of rub, letting it rest for 2-4 hours, the last hour at room temp.

-Then, 2 hours on the WSM at 230. I like oak, pecan and apple, but any combo of these and hickory, cherry, and sugar maple would work.

-Next, take each rack, place in a double layer of foil (being careful not to puncture) brush with honey, sprinkle with a dusting of brown sugar and your rub, and then pour in a mixture of apple and grape juice enough to layer the bottom. Seal the foil. Put back on the smoker at 230 for 45 minutes to an hour. Check for doneness (meat slightly pulling from bone.) If not done, put back on, but check frequently like you would garlic bread under the broiler. They can get done that quickly. Do NOT overcook. When perfect, take out, drain, and wrap again. They are ready to transport. (It doesn't matter if it's 1-2 hours until serving at this point--they are for the most part done and ready for the finishing below). I like to wrap in foil, then newspaper, and then a towel, finally placing in a cooler. OK, so I'm a geek.

At your destination, fire up one side of the gasser, take wood chips and put in tin foil and place on the hot side of the grill. (You'll have an audience at this point. Act like you know what you're doing.)

Put ribs on cold side of grill, meat side down. Baste first with (competition secret here: melted butter first) then, with 3/4 parts BBQ sauce, 1/4 part honey.

After a few minutes, flip ribs. Grab another guest and let them do the basting. They will love you for it. Brush first with the butter, then the sauce and honey mixture. Let smoke infuse and glaze carmelize.

Take off, cut into individual bones and watch other guests have food orgasms as they suck every sinew off the bones.

Tell them that was nothing. You've done better.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Art, I decided to go mobile with the WSM...but good advice anyway. What I really would have liked to have done is, after people asked me how I cooked such great ribs (and they saw the coming off the gasser) I could tell them something like, "Oh, just throw them on your gas grill for 15 minutes like you saw I did".
icon_wink.gif
I'm cruel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is BRITU? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a method for cooking the <span class="ev_code_BLUE">B</span>est <span class="ev_code_BLUE">R</span>ibs <span class="ev_code_BLUE">I</span>n <span class="ev_code_BLUE">T</span>he <span class="ev_code_BLUE">U</span>niverse.

You can read about it here .

Back