Traveler regulator issue?

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
Hey guys, just picked up a '21 traveler for $75 because, well, Weberitis is real. It's dirty from sitting in a shed, had one small rust pimple in the lid, and the regulator doesn't seem to want to let gas through. Overall I'm still happy with the purchase, but wonder if anyone has had regulator issues. Tried with a 1 lb bottle and hose connected to a 20 lb. Took it apart and there isn't any obstructions, wondering if there is anything else to be done or if a new regulator is in order. Thanks!PXL_20240320_215313876.jpg
And it does have the side table, I just had started taking it apart before i thought to snap a picture of my find!

I imagine that if those have built in regulators like the Q grills do, so a replacement is going to be a little pricey. I have never seen one where it just locked up and didn't let any gas through at all. After you removed it from the grill, did you hook it back up to the gas tank and try turning it on?

If you get to the point of replacing it, I suggest you try to dive a little deeper into the troubleshooting. Here is a photo of the Traveler regulator. I would start by disconnecting the different parts to try to isolate where the stoppage is. Start by disconnecting the orifice at joint #3. Then connect it to gas and turn on the valve. If the regulator allows flow, you know the stoppage is after the vale and probably in the orifice itself....you could also easily remove the orifice itself.
If it still isn't getting flow after disconnecting at joint #3, then disconnect the valve at joint #2. Reconnect the gas and see if it is getting flow. If it is, then that would mean the valve is the problem. If there is no flow, then that would point to the regulator itself being the problem. I think joints 1 and 2 are basically the same component, so taking both apart probably would not be useful.

NOTE, when reconnecting the gas source, make sure you turn the gas supply on very slowly at the tank and make sure the valve is turned off (at least for the first step when it is still connected to the assembly.
Also, exercise due diligence and caution as you will likely experience raw gas flow at some point.

Replacing or cleaning the valve or orifice would be a less expensive fix than the whole regulator assembly. When you put it all back together, just be sure to use tape or preferably pipe dope on the connections.

One other thing to check is that gold pin where the hose/gas bottle connect (Green arrow). If that pin is missing, it will not open the hose or gas bottle to allow flow. They get broken off easily.

Nice score.

1711029721874.png

So I dove right in today. The regulator itself is the issue. With nothing to lose, I completely disassembled it. There is a small part acting like a needle and seat of a carburetor. The gas orifice gets shut off by the needle pressing down on it with a rubber washer type thing. From my best guess it appears to have swelled when some of the oil from the propane went through the regulator at some point. Because of this it seems to now be too large and constantly pressing on the orifice and effectively closing it. It's kind of interesting dissecting it and seeing how it all works. I'm going to see if hitting it with rubbing alcohol is enough to dry it out and get it working again. I simply have nothing to lose, and $65 to save by trying it. I'll post pictures later in case anyone else is interested!

I think Travelers have only been around since 2021. Travelers have something like a 5 yr warranty once registered which should cover the regulator. Weber wants safe products out there. Maybe give them a buzz.

I think Travelers have only been around since 2021. Travelers have something like a 5 yr warranty once registered which should cover the regulator. Weber wants safe products out there. Maybe give them a buzz.
Appears he bought it used; thus no Warranty Coverage if it was registered by original owner.

Eric: Please do post photos. Also, please be careful.
I'm always careful with gas. I also have the luck of having my father work in propane for enough years to be proficient at itPXL_20240322_191227459.jpg
This shows the exploded view, in order. This picture shows the needle and seat type configuration better with the white background.
PXL_20240322_191256155.jpg The black on the "needle" section is that goes against the orifice to shut it off. It is this part that I believe has swelled and thus keeps the gas flow at zero. Previous owner did not register it, but looks like the warranty is 2 years on parts

Cool. I wonder if that part got a little too hot at some point. I wish you well in getting it fixed up. I also hope you don't have any leftover parts....LOL.

If you are interested in buying a new regulator, it is looking like about $65. You might try calling Weber and ask them for a price. Their prices are usually fairly similar to the retailers prices for new Weber factory parts and they offer $7 flat rate shipping. They may take pity on you and give you a reduced price as well if you are nice to them. Won't hurt to try. Oh, don't tell you that you took the existing regulator apart....you will freek them out.

Cool. I wonder if that part got a little too hot at some point. I wish you well in getting it fixed up. I also hope you don't have any leftover parts....LOL.

If you are interested in buying a new regulator, it is looking like about $65. You might try calling Weber and ask them for a price. Their prices are usually fairly similar to the retailers prices for new Weber factory parts and they offer $7 flat rate shipping. They may take pity on you and give you a reduced price as well if you are nice to them. Won't hurt to try. Oh, don't tell you that you took the existing regulator apart....you will freek them out.
Yup, I've come to the decision of ordering a new one. No matter what I do it just simply will not pass gas. It was fun to see how it works though 😜

Interesting. Was going to say no issues with mine, I love the little bugger. Interesting to see the regulator blown apart

They've given me a TON, I'll gladly pay for this. So far a new cookbox for my summit 420, my summit 650, new lid for my 650, replacement set of burners when the first ones didn't fit right. Overall I'm real happy, this seems a small price to pay
I understand 100%, they have been amazing to me as well.

New regulator arrived a few days ago and everything works perfectly now and it gets got pretty quick. Cooks well, seems like a really good little grill! PXL_20240331_173937930.jpgPXL_20240331_173949293.jpgPXL_20240331_173931421.jpg

I've been cooking on that maroon q in the background all winter and love it. Great in the winter especially as it heats up quickly even in the cold (below freezing)
I haven't done much cooking on the traveler, but so far i REALLY like the cart and how sturdy it is. The way it folds up, self locks and hooks the grates in place really is well thought out. The heat control seems a little better, the q gets hot but doesn't really seem to do low very well, you sometimes need to cook with the lid open to try and control it a little. To me they are built for the same basic idea of portability, but approach it so differently that I think they almost go after two different users. I hope they both do well as they are both excellent grills

Back