Transporting old Genesis Silver B

It'd be perfectly functional with a quick clean. But since it's to be a gift, I'll give it more of an update.

The part number on the frame seems to indicate it's a Silver B SWE from 2004 or 2005. What does the SWE designation mean? The serial number is gone from the label, and the first several digits/characters of the model number too. The part number is intact.

Glen, yours looks great! I drove five minutes from where I work for this one. Guy had it listed for probably two weeks at $95 and had no bites. Dropped the price by about half and I jumped. I'll get in to the cleanup in about a week. I'd like to pressure wash it.....can the inside be done with the burners in, or should they come out before I do that? It's clean enough that I may not totally break it down. If I can tape areas off for some painting, I can leave it mostly assembled.

Yours looks pretty good..just a little clean up. If you do need to paint anything use the Rustoleum HIGH HEAT ULTRA . It is easy to use and really holds up....

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001UE7MW4/tvwb-20

Nice score. She appears to be in great condition. Heck, the grates look relatively new and in very good condition. I'd be tempted to just run with them, unless you have your heart set on steel rods or porcelain cast iron.

SWE stands for "Stop Watch Engineering". Those models shipped with some assembly required, but most the work was already done at the factory. Final assembly at home was supposed to take less than 10 minutes.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/weber-introduces-stopwatchtm-engineering-76991337.html

Another question: any negative effects of it sitting idle until December? It's a natural gas model. Will knobs or valves or whatever freeze up? It's in my garage, so not out in the elements. Going to start a basic cleanup this afternoon.

Cool. Just came in from a quick cleanup. Inside of lid is like a mirror after oven cleaner and an SOS pad. Outside of lid I hit with Simple Green and 0000 steel wool. It's clean, but there's a white-ish haze on the top panel that I can't get rid of. Will read around for ideas and have another go at it. Frame cleaned up well, won't have to paint it. I may tape off the areas around the side panels and paint them though. Knobs came clean. Drip drawer came completely clean, I was surprised. Waiting for the control panel to dry and will see if it's totally clean. Top panel of the lid was the part I didn't get great results from.

For the haze (oxidation) I used auto rubbing compound to cut a later of it down, then polish, finished by a nice wax, it came back shiney!!!! I like Meguiar's products, but any will do.

Taking it slow, since I have until Christmas and all.... Sanded and painted the side panels while still on the lid. It seems to have those tension washers or whatever they are, rather than threaded nuts. So I left them on, removed the handle and taped off the top lid with newspaper. Have new flavorizer bars from RC guy. For the grates and warming rack, I've used oven cleaner, SOS pads, and sanded them by hand with 60 grit. They just won't clean and look shiny again. May be replacing those. Trying to decide if I want to work on the inside of the cookbox or if it's in good enough shape. I don't have an angle grinder, so that would add to the restore cost some.

Taking it slow, since I have until Christmas and all.... Sanded and painted the side panels while still on the lid. It seems to have those tension washers or whatever they are, rather than threaded nuts. So I left them on, removed the handle and taped off the top lid with newspaper. Have new flavorizer bars from RC guy. For the grates and warming rack, I've used oven cleaner, SOS pads, and sanded them by hand with 60 grit. They just won't clean and look shiny again. May be replacing those. Trying to decide if I want to work on the inside of the cookbox or if it's in good enough shape. I don't have an angle grinder, so that would add to the restore cost some.

Once you come to the conclusion that you'll definitely be doing more restores in the future, $15 for a cheap angle grinder is a good investment. Hell, before getting my grinder, I'd spend that much or more on chemicals to try and clean grill boxes.

Back