Transporting a smoked turkey breast?

I will be smoking my turkey breast at home but will need to transport it an hour away. Any suggestions in turns of best method to do so? What about warming it up or will that dry it out? All suggestions would be welcome.

I cannot think of a great option that won't leave your final product from altering from its original best state.
It's either going to get cooler, or more wet with any idea's I have......

Hi Garret, I usually just wrap the bird in foil and put it in a leak proof container. I'm not worried about it not being hot/warm when I get to my destination. By time my family gets to the table to eat its usually cold anyway. Hot gravy will warm it up too.

Timothy's got it. In cooler covered or just slice at home and reheat.

I'm going to be transporting a bird as well. Will likely just go the cooler route. Be aware that the cooler will smell like smoked meat from between almost forever and forever. You can decide if that's a positive or not. :)

Transport in a disposable aluminum tray, covered with foil and wrapped in towels. Pull that breast off at 155°, not higher and it’ll finish from residual heat and still be moist. And I’d recco a 24 hour wet brine before cooking it. It’ll hold more juice and flavor and you won’t be fighting a dry and stringy bird.

I've got to cook and then transport about an hour as well. Waiting on my sister to tell me what time we're arriving/eating (lunchish) to figure out if I'm going to smoke it that morning or the night before and then just reheat. If I can smoke it that morning, i'll keep it in an aluminum tray and cover it and wrap it with towels as mentioned above. I'll do an overnight brine as well.

Transport in a disposable aluminum tray, covered with foil and wrapped in towels. Pull that breast off at 155°, not higher and it’ll finish from residual heat and still be moist. And I’d recco a 24 hour wet brine before cooking it. It’ll hold more juice and flavor and you won’t be fighting a dry and stringy bird.
Thanks for the advice. Definitely plan on the wet brine which makes an incredible difference in terms of moisture. Happy Thanksgiving.

Back