Traeger Ironwood vs EX6

Don NICKLES

TVWBB Member
I am not worried at all about 600 degrees for a sear so my question is should I risk it and get the SmokeFire or stick with a Traeger? I’m kind of interested in a pellet grill/smoker as a smoker/outdoor oven. I have a Blackstone, WSM, BGE and a Summit. I have not used the Summit once since I got the blackstone. I like the BGE but only really use it for fish and chicken. I love my WSM and I LOVE the blackstone. Aside from the 600 degree sear are there any advantages of the SmokeFire over a Traeger? I have probably had 15+ Weber’s including portable grills but I cant help but think the next SmokeFire will be the one to get. Anyone compare both? Aside from the sear what else is there to consider?

Last edited:
Last year I wanted a pellet grill and I almost got the SmokeFire EX4. Then I started reading about all the issues they were having with the first release. So I bought an Amazon exclusive Camp Chef. I'm happy with it and have no regrets, but now that they have apparently resolved all the issues I would definitely get the EX4 today.
Mainly because I know that Weber will be there if anything goes south on it and parts will be available for along time not like a lot of other grills that it's impossible to get any parts.

If you scroll down you’ll see a post by Lkruse doing a comparison with Traeger, model unknown, and it may help.

I’ve had 4 Traegers and can tell you hands down the Weber will produce better food. The Traeger will produce less smoke flavor by quite a bit. It will also take longer to preheat and recover every time the lid is opened. In contrast, it is next to impossible to have a grease fire in a Traeger unless you never clean it or put greasy foods past the drip tray. You’re probably less likely to have technical issues with a Traeger, but their support is not what it used to be. The couple times I had to call about my Pro 575, they were actually rude and condescending and it was a very widespread issue almost all Pro D2 owners were having and they later fixed via firmware update.

The older Traegers actually made better food. Their timing based controller produces more smoke, but people complained non stop after wireless thermometers became part of everyone’s arsenal about the temp swings, so they went PID and in turn cut down the smoke output since pellets don’t smolder as much.

I’ve recommended the Rec Tec 700 to friends and they love them.
As purely a pellet smoker I'm in the Recteq camp. Their current models have stainless cooking grates, body, and internal components. The Ceramic igniter rod last a long long time. Their WIFI controller goes down to 180° and it's rock solid. I put one in my Camp Chef and it gives good smoke below 275° and excellent smoke at 180. No smoke tube needed. Customer service rivals Weber and I've dealt with them. That said, I am delighted with my EX6 - warts and all. 😁

As purely a pellet smoker I'm in the Recteq camp. Their current models have stainless cooking grates, body, and internal components. The Ceramic igniter rod last a long long time. Their WIFI controller goes down to 180° and it's rock solid. I put one in my Camp Chef and it gives good smoke below 275° and excellent smoke at 180. No smoke tube needed. Customer service rivals Weber and I've dealt with them. That said, I am delighted with my EX6 - warts and all. 😁
I use the SF as a grill more than anything else, if I wanted just a smoker though I would definitely go with a RecTec

Last edited:
My Rec Tec gives good smoke up to, maybe, 275. My SF will give me good smoke to 450 and that's where I do spatchcocked birds. I'm convinced the SF is a better smoker for low and high heat BBQ. Hands down it's the best for grilling. That from a big Rec Tec fan. :unsure:

I have a first generation Traeger Timberline and love it. I have had no issues. Well insulated, holds temperatures as set, nice features like slide out all stainless grates. I also like the footprint on the Timberline; they went up to get more space vs. adding length. It appears Traeger has put a lot of thought into the Timberline and Ironwood series and set them far apart from their other offerings.

If you want the best smoke flavor or a pellet smoker, then the Smokefire wins hands down. My buddy has the latest RecTec and it produces some awesome BBQ and runs like a top. My Campchef Woodwind runs quite well and can grill nicely, but the grilling area is more limited than the Smokefire. I was not a big fan of my Timberline 1300 and always found the smoke flavor be lacking. That was the pre-D2 controller though, so it may be improved with later controls. I loved the build quality of the Timberline. It's far superior to any of the other smokers I've mentioned IMO. I don't have direct experience with the Ironwood though.

Back