Trader Joe's beef tenderloin

P.Schaff

TVWBB Member
OK fellas....advice needed.
I picked up a ~3lb beef tenderloin roast from TJ's the other day and I want to use the WSM to cook it. I've typically only done these in the oven or on the grill.
My question - take the bowl out and cook it at a ~350 temp, or leave the bowl in and cook it around ~225, searing at the end?
I'm leaning towards the lower temp but would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks!
Pat

I really like the even doneness that the lower temp cooking gives. I don't even bother to sear anymore,,,,,no one seems to even notice.

JimT

HAHA Jim. I couldn’t agree with you more. Seems more of my family and guests pay more attention that the meat is cooked to the temperature they like, than whether or not the meat has been seared. I have learned that with a good thermometer, getting the meat cooked correctly is easy and the WSM does the rest as far as the flavor and color you would get from searing.
I did a single pork tenderloin for the wife and me on the wsm last night. Normally, I would sear this on the grill and then indirectly cook it until it came up to temp. I scratched all of that and did it in the WSM with a temp probe and smoked it with some apple wood and water in the pan. I also marinated it with duck sauce. It turned out fantastic at 170 degrees.

Thanks fellas. I ended up cooking the sucker low and slow at about 235 degrees. Very happy I did that. I was worried about having no crust on the meat, but I ended up with as good as one as I would have normally gotten if I seared it. It was almost strange how noticeable the crust was. I only used a little penzy's all purpose sprinkled on it.

Anyway, awesome meal. I took it to 135 and then let it rest for about 15 minutes. When I cut into it, the whole thing was perfectly pink all the way through.....no uneven cooking. Next time I'll post some pics....I was a little gun shy this time around to take some since this was my first attempt at a slow cooked beef tenderloin!
icon_smile.gif

Pat

Back