TPJ glaze for ribs?

Kirk Boorman

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm experimenting with Texas Pepper Jelly in my rib glaze. I'm just going to do a straight TPJ glaze (Texas Passion Jalapeno) on some and I'd like to try adding it to some sauce too. Any suggestions on what kind of sauce to start with?
TIA

Thanks Darwin, and welcome to the board. I am familiar with the TXBBQ forum and I did find a few posts on using TPJ on ribs there. In fact, I did my ribs tonight with TexasBBQ rub #1. I glazed one with TX Passion and one with a mix of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey and Head Country Hot, both brushed on in the last 1/2 hour of cooking. I must say, the taste of TPJ alone didn't do it for me or my wife, but the sauce mix was pretty good. I think that we were both looking for a little more depth of flavor than the TPJ and rub offered. It might have helped if I could have let the TPJ "set" a little more on the ribs so that the rub and jelly could really get together, but they were borderline overdone already, so they had to come off.
As a side note, one of the racks I did tonight was Hatfield brand. Normally, I think that Hatfield's meats are among the best commercially, but these ribs weren't great. The meat was OK, but there were so many shiners (top and bottom) that the rack just fell apart by the time it was done. I guess I shouldn't complain though, since they were only $1.88/lb as compared to $2.29/lb that I usually pay at Sam's. It was kind of sneaky the way they were packaged too. At first glance, they looked like they were trimmed pretty nice, with most of the rib tips trimmed away. As it turned out, the trimmings from that rack and more were hidden underneath (these weren't COV packaged, they were on a styrofoam tray wrapped in Saran). That didn't make me happy either.

I am nuts about TPJ! I have not used it as a finish glaze, but I dip chicken in it whenever I smoke quarters (that have TXBBQ Rub on them). I prefer the mixed berry the best. I got ahold of some blueberry TPJ once that was a seasonal or trial one, and it was by far my favorite. I wish Texana would get some more of that on the line.

Kirk...pineapple habenero is great as a glaze! I use TPJ in my sauce as well (my secret ingredient) and it gives it some nice heat...not too much though!

Back