Tough Time Finding Tri Tips In N.J.

Mark T.

TVWBB Member
I am anxious to try a Tri-Tip but have been unable to find any, let alone anyone who actually knows what they are. Does anyone have any good ideas on where to find them in the central New Jersey area.

Thanks,

Mark

Trader Joe's should have them. I know they have them at the Marlton store but I've never been to a TJ's that didn't. I have only been past this store, not to it, but you can call.

They have lots of good stuff.

186 Columbia Turnpike
Florham Park, NJ 07932
(973) 514-1511
In Regency Plaza, behind CVS
Open daily from 9 AM to 9 PM

Today they will close at 5.

They should have plain and marinated (I like the plain.)

They're west of Ridgedale Ave on Columbia Pike (510)--east of Rt 24

That place is about half a mile from where my wife works. She tells me it is quite popular. I didn't even know it was there. Looks like I will have to pay them a visit.

Jim

In St Louis, I usually buy my TriTip at Trader Joe's - they have plain and marinated, I buy plain.

I can also get them from our up-scale supermarket or some butcher shops

I run a butcher shop in Michigan here - I have been on my wholesaler for months trying to get them. My sales rep keeps trying to sell me "ball tips" - which I have to calmly explain everytime isn't even close to a tri-tip.

We are just two miles down the road from a KOA, that is pretty much packed all summer - customers from down south and out west who camp there, can't believe we can't get them.

Well--the ball tip is next to the tri-tip. It is part of the same section of the bottom of the sirloin. It's 185B if you use or have a NAMP guide available (the tri is 185C). Nevertheless, it's not a tri. However, unless your supplier's supplier is shipping all their tris elsewhere (a possibility) you should be able to get them. Sometimes one has to threaten--unfortunately.
icon_frown.gif

I think that's weird how some places don't know what tri tip is. I just stocked up on some this past week. It was on sale for $1.79 a lb. Normally this stuff only goes on sale for like $3.00 lb.

Usually when I find a butcher that gives me a deer in the headlights look when I ask for Tri-tip, I usually revert to calling it a:

Bottom Sirloin Butt

Then they kinda say all yeah I can get you that.

There are extremely few real butchers anywhere anymore despite the names of their businesses or their job descriptions.

The 'butchers' in San Diego are not buying whole sirloins and cutting the tri-tips, ball roasts and flaps off the bottom--they're ordering tri-tips and getting them--already cut and packaged--by the case. Retailers not in the west (where tri-tip has been popular for years) are buying what they know and most don't know tri-tip because they don't buy or cut whole sirloins either; like nearly everyone else they buy either pre-cut steaks or just the top portion of the sirloin and cut the steaks themselves. Though some might know what a 'bottom sirloin butt' is most have never seen the entire bottom of the sirloin. In most places tri-tip is not even on their order sheets. Even out west, though they know what tri-tips are and sell them, most have never seen (and probably have never heard of) a ball roast.

jeffr-- TJ's selection of meats is small and generally limited to some specialty cuts and some free-range products. The prices are reasonable.

Back