tough shoulder

Michael Campisi

Hey Everyone,

I had to buy a couple of picnic's this past weekend, because there were no Boston butts to be had. The finished product turned out tough as heck, and were very difficult to shred. It wasn't due to temperature spikes, as the cook was carefully observed. Is it possible that the shoulders I got just produced tough finished products??

I appreciate the help!

Picnics usually result in a bit drier product than butts, but not usually tough. What was your final temp? I'm betting it just needed to go a little higher.

Hey Michael,

At what internal temp did the meat come off the WSM? did it rest? if so, how long? What was you r avg temp of the WSM during the cook?

Kev

I would bet anything you pulled the meat before reaching 195 internal. What was the temp of the cooker,size of shoulder, and time on the cooker.

I would let it hit 195-200 at this point the cartalage will breakdown thats what your looking for. Let it rest in a cooler or foil for at the very minimum 30min.

Good luck next time.

Up until the past month or two, I always did picnics, but now only butts. I started to check at 187, and most times pulled at 190-192. I also let em rest for anywhere form 2-5 hours also. ( I don't like to rush around at the last minute lol) I never had a "tuff" one. I will also say that I think a Picnic liked to be injected more than a Boston butt also. I injected all my Picnics the last 6 months or so that I did them, and if had to do again in the future, the 'ole injector would be out again.
icon_wink.gif

Back