Tough ribs

Shane Atwood

TVWBB Member
I did a search, but didn't find an exact answer to my question. Last weekend my wife and I cooked in a competition. My ribs took 3rd, but they were a little tough in some spots. If I can explain this, there is a flap of meat over the fat on a rack of spares. It is meat, fat, meat bone, if that makes any sense. It always seems to be like a piece of leather. Once you got past that the ribs were great. Do I need to baste more, cut that off? or do something different? I don't normally foil my ribs if that helps.

BTW, it was my wife and I's first competition together. Her chicken took 2nd, my ribs 3rd and we pulled off a reserve grand champion. This was the best Chicken and Ribs in Edgewood, WA.

Shane, and wife. Glad to hear about your success in the comp.
icon_cool.gif
Maybe you should trim the spares down to St. Louis style for your turn-ins. Chris has a great video here on how to do it. Link for you here.
icon_wink.gif

I see Chris is wearing a Memphis Minnie's t-shirt in the video...some of the best 'que up in SF city, over by Haight & Filmore. When I was there the ribs were a bit dry for me, but it was good 'que and the brisket was good. If any of you folks make it to SF, Memphis Minnie's is a great place to get some 'que. Small and funky place, a must stop if you like 'que and happen to be in San Francisco...

Back